Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Fishy flop call?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls...

...As loose as the table was, I thought I actually had implied odds here. Also a big bonus here is that the board is already paired, so I won't have to worry (too much) about redraws if I hit. Anyone else take one off?
Old 08-27-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Fishy flop call?

if i am counting right you are getting 16:1. lets say you will collect 3 big bets on the turn and river if you hit. that would give you a expected pot size of 22 small bets. so here is how you figure if your call is positive ev tahke your 2 outs and multiply them by your expected pot size of 22 = 44 then take 47 (remaining unseen cards) and subtract your 2 outs = 45 to give you "bad outs" (45 cards that will not help you) and if the first number 44 is larger than the second (45) then the call is positive ev. so here is how it would look :

2(outs) x 22(expected pot size) = 44
47(unseens cards) - 2(outs) = 45
44 &lt; 45 so its a small neg ev call (but so close i would consider it neutral)

hope this helped here is a link to learn more about figuring pot odds and implied odds.

http://weighingtheodds.blogspot.com/...ns-in-big.html
Old 08-27-2005, 12:58 AM

You're getting 16:1 straight pot odds on a 19:1 draw. In order for this to be profitable you need to pick up 2 BB on the turn and river if you hit your draw on the turn. The call was ok.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:02 AM

As WhiteShirt said, if it's a -EV call it's close enough not to really matter. I'd give you considerably more than 3 BBs in implied odds, though, especially since one of your outs puts a possible flush on board. Of course, there's also the possibility that MP3 has AA or someone else is slowplaying A6...

I'd make the call, closing the action.