Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Life Aquatic was underrated. . . .

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how did people not love this movie?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Because it blew. "

Jake, this thread is about the movie Life Aquatic, not your mom. . . .
Old 06-13-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

how did people not love this movie?

"Because it blew. "

Jake, this thread is about the movie Life Aquatic, not your mom. . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! That's both hilarious and original! Don't get pissy with me just because you're either too lazy or too stupid to use the search function.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
did you think rushmore and tenenbaums blew as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

rushmore > tanenbaums > aquatic

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right, you know.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the charms of Rushmore and Bottle Rocket was that they were completely without irony and totally heartfelt, particularly if you were ever a nerdy sort of Max Fischer growing up. I just don't feel the same way about the last two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I didn't think there was too much irony in Aquatic. What are you specifically referring to? I thought it had a good bit of heart.

I haven't seen Rushmore in a while but I really liked Bottle Rocket and Tenenbaums. It would be hard for me to rank them.

NT
Old 06-13-2005, 02:51 PM

"clearly you're an idiot. someone please lock this thread as this has all been discussed intelligently in the past."

maybe not original, but still funny obv. calling people idiots is original and way more funny though. . .
Old 06-13-2005, 02:53 PM

Sure, I'll buy that. But do you think Bottlerocket is better than any of these 3? If not, according to JaketheMelvin, you are clearly an idiot!
Old 06-13-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
according to JaketheMelvin, you are clearly an idiot!

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed at this, although I'm not completely sure why. Nice! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2005, 03:37 PM

I kinda thought the last two, in part, exemplified what happens to those fisheresque types after the voyage of life wrecked havok on their idealistic and simplistic dreams and how, even after their trials and tribulations and loss of innocence (as fischer experiences so wonderfully- the gradual self-awareness of unfolding reality that permeated fischer's quixotic endeavors), their mischevious childhood imagination still persisted, proving life still has wonder and beauty in the face of so much harsh reality, but doing so in a light-hearted, non heavy handed manner atypical of films of this type.

Will much more self-indulgent and flat and uncompelling than his others, I found appeal (empathy with steve z?) in life aquatic's silly affirmation that a part of us should never grow up- that magnetic wes anderson theme - the celebration of imagination and curiosity and zest for life that is explored through those that have the courage to maintain it when those days have supposedly long since passed them by, silly and ironic or even absurd as they might appear to us on the screen (and even to the characters themselves). he really is a master at exploiting a young adult's romantic reminisence with childhood.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I kinda thought the last two, in part, exemplified what happens to those fisheresque types after the voyage of life wrecked havok on their idealistic and simplistic dreams and how, even after their trials and tribulations and loss of innocence (as fischer experiences so wonderfully- the gradual self-awareness of unfolding reality that permeated fischer's quixotic endeavors), their mischevious childhood imagination still persisted, proving life still has wonder and beauty in the face of so much harsh reality, but doing so in a light-hearted, non heavy handed manner atypical of films of this type.

Will much more self-indulgent and flat and uncompelling than his others, I found appeal (empathy with steve z?) in life aquatic's silly affirmation that a part of us should never grow up- that magnetic wes anderson theme - the celebration of imagination and curiosity and zest for life that is explored through those that have the courage to maintain it when those days have supposedly long since passed them by, silly and ironic or even absurd as they might appear to us on the screen (and even to the characters themselves). he really is a master at exploiting a young adult's romantic reminisence with childhood.

[/ QUOTE ]

My cat's breath smells like cat food.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:12 PM

Eh, I love Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums but Life Aquatic just didn't really do it for me. Maybe it will grow on me after I see it again.