Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Absolute High Hand interpretation questions

Ok, so I made quad Queens at Absolute yesterday and submitted it for consideration as the high hand.

I only had one queen in my hand so I need my kicker to play. However my kicker was the same rank as the highest card on the board. So does my kicker play making me eligible for the high hand or does the board kicker play?

Obviously Absolute gets to make the call according to the terms of the promotion, but what is best answer?

My argument of course is that since you can make the best five card hand using any combination of your two cards and the five board cards, that I get to elect to use both my hole cards.

I suppose the opposing view would be that because my kicker doesn't necessarily play that I haven't met the both hole cards must play rule.

Whatcha think?

--Zetack
Old 04-19-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Absolute High Hand interpretation questions

Good point, i've personally never thought of it that way. Technically, you're right i believe. But just for that insight, i'd give it to ya if I could lol
Old 04-19-2005, 12:42 PM

I believe that your hole card does play when it is the same rank as the board card. I have seen a bad beat jack pot won this way, but it might be cardroom dependent, so don't quote me on it.

Good luck trying to win it with quad queens though. From what I remember you'll need something in the neighbourhood of Jack high straight flush to even be in the running.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that your hole card does play when it is the same rank as the board card. I have seen a bad beat jack pot won this way, but it might be cardroom dependent, so don't quote me on it.

Good luck trying to win it with quad queens though. From what I remember you'll need something in the neighbourhood of Jack high straight flush to even be in the running.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, its a long shot alright, but it looks like quads is a winning hand maybe once a week or so (I just glanced at the list so don't quote me on the frequency) and maybe monday is one of their slower days. Whatever, a hundred bucks would be nice but I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

--Zetack
Old 04-19-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Well What\'dya Know

I didn't even have to argue with them:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your email.

Regarding your previous message let me inform you that you hand does qualify
for the high hand promotion. This hand will be forwarded to our promotions
manager and if you are the winner you will be notified in the next 24 to 48
hrs.

Thanks for playing at Absolute Poker! If there is anything else we can help
you with, please let us know. We're here for you!

Regards,

Jorge
Team Absolute ~ Customer Support
"Continuing to be the Best and Most Trusted"
Support@AbsolutePoker.net