Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 10:24 AM

Default How do you read this stop n go?

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

MP3 ($472.9)
CO ($610.4)
Hero ($428)
SB ($249)
BB ($391.9)
UTG ($254.4)
UTG+1 ($357)
MP1 ($381)
MP2 ($468)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $4, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, SB (poster) calls $18, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $16, MP1 calls $16.

Flop: ($84) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $55</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $110</font>, SB folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls $55.

I know people don't like min raises generally, but here's what I was thinking. MP1 may do this as a semi-bluff with spades or a flush + straight draw. There may be other draws out there that I want to push out. I figure if I minraise and MP1 just calls, he's probably on a draw rather than a set. It also shows strength, so I'm not likely to be bluffed out on later streets.

Turn: ($304) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $120</font>, Hero folds.

WTF? I have a pretty hard time putting him on a hand I beat, unless he's firing a second barrel with a draw or AXs after I raised his first bet. This seems unlikely as some reasonable % of the time I'll hold AJ, AA, JJ here. Does anybody think I could be ahead here? 44, AJ, A4s, slow-played pf AK or JJ all beat me.

Other suggestions on my line?
Old 04-13-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: How do you read this stop n go?

Check/call flop, bet/raise turn on non scary card. Laydown to check-raise/reraise.

If I've raised preflop with a big ace and hit, I normally stop raising the flop, if they lead into me I call and see waht they do on the turn. Raising only gets them to fold hands I beat and lets them punish me with hands I'm way behind. Unless this opponent is awful I don't see much merit to raising the flop.

As it stands I like the turn fold. I don't think it's close.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:37 PM

Assuming he doesnt have a read on hero (eg he knows hero gets nightmares about tptk vs sets) I like the fold too.

But AZK, you prefer calling on this flop with two to act? What if one of the other two has K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ? For only 55 more theyre squeezed out and we have position on Villian, and can fold if he bets again. If you were going to call then reraise the turn anyway it costs a lot more that way. Imho.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:45 PM

I hear what you are saying, recently (could be my bad run) I've just tried to play the smallest pot possible with 1 pair. I try to get as least involved as possible.