Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Party Step 3 Bubble(ish) hand

Ok we're 10 handed... 9th-7th get a renetry into step 3 10th drop you down to step 2. I don't have a ton of chips but i'm not hurting by any stretch of the imagination. I don't mind dropping down to step 2 again as i bought in from step 1 mainly for the cheap experience (and it'd be nie to cash in step 5) that being said if i win this pot i'm 100% sure i can make it to 6th... Read on villian is solid but i'm 95% sure he has a pair that is not aces or kings as a previous hand he had kings and did not reraise a an early raiser he flat called. Also i think if he does raise he shoves in here with aces or kings. I put him on queens or jacks and wanted the coin flip. Is my thinking correct here from a tournament strategy/theory standpoint. I havn't read TPFAP but its on the list of things to do. .... Comments ... results will be posted later.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (10 handed) converter

UTG+1 (t1916)
UTG+2 (t4246)
MP1 (t1170)
MP2 (t1975)
MP3 (t972)
CO (t970)
Button (t1069)
SB (t3242)
BB (t1405)
Hero (t3035)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises to t1000</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls t2035.

Flop: (t3935) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t3935) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t3935) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t3935
Old 01-16-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Party Step 3 Bubble(ish) hand

With your chip stack, I would limp and then fold to any significant PF action, or maybe just fold entirely. It is a catastrophic mistake to go all in here against a big stack with kings, never mind AK.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:59 AM

you should just fold to start with. you can fold into a win most likely, and if not you aren't going to be in danger for quite a while.

bad time to be risking your stack. limping isn't horrible but i still prefer a fold.

also keep in mind that if UTG+2 is a good player, he's not going to be reraising with less than kings.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:35 AM

Interesting that you guys would say that... and i do respect boht you guys as excellent poster and tourney players. I wasn' sure i could fold into 6th from here... i knew i'd have to steal a little but with this win i coudl guarantee placement. it's good to know though to not take these types of risks ...i would liek to see some further dissusion beofre i post reuslts though
Old 01-16-2005, 08:04 AM

If you want to make the money it's important not to get into fights with one of the two people who can bust you.

This is a hard hand to laydown preflop though, so maybe minraising and laying down to a reraise might be a good option. It really depends on how tight the table has been. Has the big stack been reraising a lot previously?

I hope your flush didn't lose to 4 Jacks....
Old 01-16-2005, 11:17 AM

or 99 for the boat, althouth UTG+2 would have to be a little crazy to play it this way.

I agree with adanthar and Insty in that the last person you want to tangle with is the big stack. Yes, to finish 6th you are probably going to have to pilfer a few blinds, but there are some juicy stacks out there of t1919, t1975, t1405 that are probably cinched up tight and may fold most hands to a steal. THEY are the ones with the most to loose. With the blinds at t200, some of the +/- t1000 stacks may be ripe, too, but you gotta watch out for the short stacks that are ready to call it a day and reraise shove.

Win the hand, or get taken out by a boat/quads? You are posting the hand, so I'm guessing the results weren't that great.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind dropping down to step 2 again as i bought in from step 1 mainly for the cheap experience (and it'd be nie to cash in step 5) that being said if i win this pot i'm 100% sure i can make it to 6th...

[/ QUOTE ]

As for me, I would MUCH rather get another freeroll into a step 3 (where 1-6 move up, 7-9 play again), than have to go back down to step 2 where only the top 4 move on and 5-6 play again.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would limp and then fold to any significant PF action

[/ QUOTE ]

Adanthar,

If one of the 1000 chip small stacks reraised allin (assuming you limped), would you call or does that constitute significant action as well?
Old 01-16-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Adanthar,

If one of the 1000 chip small stacks reraised allin (assuming you limped), would you call or does that constitute significant action as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

2K is still enough to autosteal and 4K is an autofold situation, so yes, I'd call. But it depends on the exact stack.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:09 AM

You should be doing everything possible to avoid a confrontation here. If your opponent had something like KK they were making a terrible mistake. Even if they had AA it was likely a mistake, as the chances of them qualifying by folding are very close to 100%. People get knocked out like flies here, and also people fold to your BB a lot if you are a big stack.