Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 08:01 AM

Default Need a Strategy against a min better

Playing on pacific poker 2.50+.25 sng today and I ran into an opponent who I couldn't devise a strategy to beat.

I got a somewhat decent read on him (sorta) he limps with any 2 prefop plays ny 2 to a non-signifigant raise. calls big raises with any 2 cards above a 10 plus any pocket pair.

If he hits the flop or not he will bet min no matter what position he's in or what he has. He will also min bet the turn no matter what it is or what position he's in.
On the river if he has anything he'll bet big(ish about 3/4th pot) haven't seen him bluff with one of these bets.

All good so far right: just go ahaead and draw to your good hands... beware of just drawing to overcards if you hit and he big bets on the river.

The problem is getting payed off with other hands. He'll fold to check raises ~50% of the time but he doens't need a hand to call a check raise with. I checkraised him a nice amount with a set i made on the turn. He called with his flush draw and sucked out on the river (luckily i put him on that and only had to call his min bet .... i figure he wanted me to raise it)... i've also won calling him down with 10's on a jqk board, he gave his hand away by big betting when the q's paired on 4th street. I had position on him and simply called his 4th street bet and checked through the river...he showed a 94o.

That being said i still have a tough time getting him to pay off my good hands. It seems like his post flop play is a little to random for me to be sure of where i am.

Rereading this post I guess i've picked up some patterns but there random enough that i'm never comfortable when i'm in a hand with him which may contribute to my playing poorly against him.

Any comments at all appreciated
Old 01-08-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Need a Strategy against a min better

are you serious? this is probably the easiest and most profitable type of player to play against
Old 01-08-2005, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the help. I realize that I have a lot to work on when it comes to my game. If you could shed some light on how to play against this player i'd appreciate it.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:42 PM

Bump... I would like to hear some commentary on this.