Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Does this guy have the random number generation cracked? (nc)

[ QUOTE ]
there must be something to be said for context: the big blind is T20. the button begins the hand with T1670. the "chip spewing" 3-bet cost him a little more than 1% of his stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 4 bets preflop costs 5% of his stack. Add this to one bet each on later streets, you are in for 11% of your stack. I don't know if it is necessarily good to play loose just because the stakes are low. I don't think flat calling a raise rather than folding is automatic with 54s.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if it is necessarily good to play loose just because the stakes are low. I don't think flat calling a raise rather than folding is automatic with 54s.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this point only has some merit because it's limit poker and the implied odds aren't as large as with no-limit. and i never said it was automatic, either ... i said it's a way of varying your play (which means it's different than what you normally do).

in this example, however, don't talk about the bets on the later streets -- do you really think he would have made it to the turn, much less the river, if he hadn't hit the flop hard? if paint hits the flop and either you or the CO bet, do you think he calls or raises? in this particular hand, he didn't put in one extra bet post-flop until he had you crushed.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
two of the 4 pre-flop bets are irrelevant unless you are arguing that he shouldn't have even called off 2% of his stack preflop with live suited connectors and the button. so let's say he put in an extra 3% preflop that you wouldn't have otherwise done.

[/ QUOTE ]

In limit % of stack called with a suited connector is irrelevant unless you will be put allin before the hand is over. There is no way you can take someone's whole stack if you make a straight or something.

Calling a raise preflop with this kind of hand is not the standard play, according to Sklansky, Miller, Harmon, etc.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling a raise preflop with this kind of hand is not the standard play, according to Sklansky, Miller, Harmon, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, yes, YES! i agree! hence the whole "varying your play" concept ... never argued its validity as a standard line, simply as a means of deception.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I made a very similar play in a home game last week. But my opponent had KK and I got paid off even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

DELIVERING BAD BEATS IS NOT A "PLAY", IT IS POOR POKER.

THANK YOU! COME AGAIN!

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect officer, you do realize that a poker hand contains 5 cards and not 2.