Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: My wife - the fish

[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, live games are really boring, so I understand why people want to play more hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Live play is way more fun than online. Shuffle chips, chat with the dealer, your opponents, the cocktail waitresses. Seriously, there are a lot of interesting people in the world, and if you enjoy their company, learn a new thing or two in the process (not about poker, of course), it should be very easy to only play good hands. Anyone that treats live poker like its online will of course be bored. I personally don't know how someone can sit wearing sunglasses, an IPOD, and a hooded sweatshirt and sit at a live table and have any enjoyment whatsoever. Just my thoughts.

As for the OP... If you want your wife to play, it sounds like it is going to have to be as it is. Just make sure you are winning her money in the end.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Count your blessings, friend! My wife wants nothing to do with poker and I can't remember the number of times I've declined an intimate evening to go fishing at Pokerstars.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true, you have major problems.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:23 PM

She's not playing for the same reasons you are- get over it (been there, done that)

Limit her session bankroll and do your best to win her losses back.

If she continues to get upset about losing money, show her concrete examples from her play in that game where she could have saved or gained money. If she becomes interested, ask her what she would do with a particular crappy hand when this flop comes, or this person raises, etc.

Maybe she'll see the light. Until then, treat it as entertainment and control the costs accordingly.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Count your blessings, friend! My wife wants nothing to do with poker and I can't remember the number of times I've declined an intimate evening to go fishing at Pokerstars.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

" I recommend sitting on her right and check raising until all her money is in front of you"

And those problems are going to get worse.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:32 PM

paying your wife for sex is so pathetic.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently thats what she enjoys, catching long shot draws and sucking out on people.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is her phone #?
Old 08-26-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After 15 years of marriage and 2 kids, I need $$$$ much more than I need $ex. Maybe I am just being old fashioned. Of course, if I married a poker girl maybe I would see things differently. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 02:07 PM

She's absolutely right. You should shut up.

Seriously, as long as she is gambling within her means, quit stomping on her good time. She sounds like a smart woman, and I'm sure she understands (as I'm sure you've harped on it for days [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) the basic concept that she's playing losing poker. So, it seems to me that (for her) the rush of getting lucky is worth the cost of playing the way she does.

For someone who doesn't care whether or not she's a good player, playing good poker is B-O-R-I-N-G, and the rush of hitting miracle cards is what's important. I'd think it would me more fun to have your wife play -EV poker with you, than to not see her all night because she's playing -EV slots or craps.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So now she says she won't play with me anymore unless I shutup and let her have fun chasing her runner runners and gutshots. Apparently thats what she enjoys, catching long shot draws and sucking out on people.

[/ QUOTE ]

tell her to play a card game thats NOT for money where she can do this.

As a female player, I constantly try to get intelligent girls I know to get into the game. The more books I lend to them, the more they don't care about what they're reading. Some women just don't have the aggressive drive in them, but enjoy hanging out with the group more. If she's read those books and still insists on being an idiot poker player (no offense), make her read POP. It will force her to assess her game and figure out that she's the worst type of player, and perhaps her game will improve.

Sorry you're in this position dude, some women will just refuse to listen. Hopefully someday she'll realize she can't play and perhaps try to up her game a little.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:38 PM

Suck it up, then take her money at the poker table as often as you can, like you would with any other fish.

Maybe your bragging about how badly you beat her will be the incentive she needs to tighten up. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]