Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Just got pulled over while walking

[ QUOTE ]
4am this evening, my buddy and I were walking and talking. We do this maybe 3-5 times a week, depending on availability and amount of stuff to talk about. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I live in Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you should consider San Fran where this is a normallity...
Old 09-05-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys, I dig your little experiment.

In the US this encounter is known as a stop. Law Enforcement can stop you based on reasonable suspicion and detain you to breifly question you.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's actually called a Terry Stop (From Terry v. Ohio) Any reasonable suspicion and the officer can stop you, question you, detain you, and if he feels he/she is in danger, frisk search. Not a full search but just a quick check for weapons.

As to your situation, the officer shouldn't have called you guys dicks, but you two shouldn't have acted like them either. A simple "On our way back from getting some donuts" would have been fine. This guy was just doing his job.

One other side note...Not sure how old you guys are/look, or if there is a curfew in Canada for minors, but here in the US (atleast Illinois) if an officer has a reason to believe you are out past legal curfew, you must produce a valid ID/proof of age.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Giving cops a hard time is -EV.

Here are the options:

1) Be nice to the guy, answer his questions, continue your walk in peace.

2) Be a nit, give the guy a hard time and hope he doesn't make life difficult for you just because he can.

Bottom line: The cop was wrong. He was being a dick, and should not have done so (assuming the OP is retelling the events accurately). Nonetheless, only bad things can come of being a nit to a cop.

I've gotten out of several well-deserved tickets just by being a nice guy (someones gonna FYP this one, I'm sure) and bantering pleasantly with the cop. They are so used to nits like you that they cut me some slack for being a nice guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference here is they didn't do anything wrong, and didn't well-deserve a ticket or even to be stopped.

Of course if you have done something wrong and they have evidence you are at the mercy of the officer and should conduct yourself accordingly.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:07 PM

You shouldn't jerk off while you drive anyway.

Ohhhhhh.... walking..... I thought you said "Pulled over while wanking."
Old 09-05-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think what you did was commendable. As one of the other posters said, there was a long discussion of this issue about a month or so ago. At the time, I was surprised by how many people were willing to act like sheep and give up their rights to the police.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone have a link to this? I'd love to read it. A phrase in the subject line of the post would be just fine too.

[ QUOTE ]

Btw...since you didn't get the police officer's badge number or his name, nothing will come of this. Because this was a "minor" infraction on the officer's part, his superiors will claim that they can't do anything without a name or a badge number. It'll be the blue wall of silence.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have the number. Adam chose not to publish it here, which I support.

[ QUOTE ]

If and when his superiors won't do anything, you can make a complaint to the police services civilian review board (I live in Ontario too). They'll be little more cooperative and helpful. A friend of mine accidentally cut off a police officer when he was pulling out onto the street. The police officer flipped out, sped around my friend and then cut him off to force a stop of my friend's vehicle. The officer then leapt from his vehicle with his gun drawn and ordered my friend to exit his vehicle. The officer was enraged at having been cut off and was totally out of control.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus Christ man. I know these guys occassionally do stuff right too, but this thread isn't helping. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

When my friend complained to the police, they gave him the run around and claimed that there was no evidence of wrongdoing on the officer's part (even though my friend had provided a name of an impartial witness who happened to be walking by when this went down). He filed a complaint with the civilian review board and they are now investigating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a lot for your support and information.

--Dave.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:32 PM

Was it the OPP that stopped you? Which city are you in?
Old 09-05-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yikes what city do you live in? I'm out walking relatively often at those hours (either by myself, with my girlfriend or other friends) and I've never once been bothered.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was in Whitby. The same has happened to me many times in Barrie, but I don't think in Newmarket or Belleville.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(assuming the OP is retelling the events accurately)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm doing my best...

And you're right about this being -EV, but I'm a little fed up with being pulled over.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Giving cops a hard time is -EV.

Here are the options:

1) Be nice to the guy, answer his questions, continue your walk in peace.

2) Be a nit, give the guy a hard time and hope he doesn't make life difficult for you just because he can.

Bottom line: The cop was wrong. He was being a dick, and should not have done so (assuming the OP is retelling the events accurately). Nonetheless, only bad things can come of being a nit to a cop.

I've gotten out of several well-deserved tickets just by being a nice guy (someones gonna FYP this one, I'm sure) and bantering pleasantly with the cop. They are so used to nits like you that they cut me some slack for being a nice guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference here is they didn't do anything wrong, and didn't well-deserve a ticket or even to be stopped.

Of course if you have done something wrong and they have evidence you are at the mercy of the officer and should conduct yourself accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Caveat: If it's something that it's within their power to overlook. If it's murder (for an extreme example), then STFU.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was it the OPP that stopped you? Which city are you in?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was the OPP. I'm not sure.

Why do you ask?