Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 03:53 AM

Default My poker coach is unfair...

I hired a poker coach to assist me in improving my game. I currently play 3/6 6 max and 5/10 6 max. He spends a good amount of time with me, but recently he asked me to do a couple math problems (calculating how many times a hand like 98s hits the flop well, and doing the same with 97s), and I have not done them this past week even though I said I would. I don't think he understands that I'm married with a child on the way, and although I just freed up 40 hours a week by quitting my job to play poker full time, I've just not had the time to sit down and crunch the numbers. He argues that it would only take 20 minutes each max, so I should have done it by now, and that I'm only making excuses. Do you think he's being harsh, or do you think I should have somehow done these? Is he being unfair? Unreasonable?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-20-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Re: My poker coach is unfair...

suck it up and do the math, btw, get ready for the barrage of 'you shouldn't have quit your day job' posts.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:06 AM

No offense, but are you married? Have you ever prepared for having a child? Would you know if it takes 20 hours a day or 2 hours a day? I consider myself a very hard worker and you seem to be just as hard on me (and lacking understanding) as my coach.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense, but are you married?

[/ QUOTE ]
nope, this should have been taken into consideration as you were deciding to go pro
[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever prepared for having a child?

[/ QUOTE ]
nope, I do know that a solid stable 40hr/week job is preferable over something like poker
[ QUOTE ]
Would you know if it takes 20 hours a day or 2 hours a day?

[/ QUOTE ]
nope, but this is exactly why people with no dependants are favoured to take up poker for living[ QUOTE ]

I consider myself a very hard worker and you seem to be just as hard on me (and lacking understanding) as my coach.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know you, and my lack of understanding as you put it maybe because of the lack of information you have provided.

Honestly, what did you want to hear? "Your coach is a jerk, etc etc" Please be ready for whatever response is given and once again, suck it up.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:52 AM

JeffreyD, I honestly don't know if this post is serious or not. But trust me, if it is, take a long hard review of all these posts. They are right!

If you want to go pro, and are worried about doing some math revision, then you will fail over the long run. Your poker education will never stop, it's a continuous process. If you can't make additional time to learn about the game as well as play, then I personally don't see you lasting long as the game is just too hard.

If I were you, I'd seriously be thinking about the best interests of my wife and child.

If you do still want to continue with poker, then I think you have to change your mindset. take advantage of the recent information that's been made available. You could start by looking at the recent articles by Ed Miller and Dr Schoonmaker. Also, check the new book by Mark Blade.

With a wife and child to support, there is simply to much on the line to make a bad decision.

Good luck,

PJS
Old 11-20-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense, but are you married? Have you ever prepared for having a child? Would you know if it takes 20 hours a day or 2 hours a day? I consider myself a very hard worker and you seem to be just as hard on me (and lacking understanding) as my coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the math problem or prepare to fail at poker. It gets harder than this. Your other obligations are a seperate issue.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Troll.....
Old 11-20-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-20-2005, 04:36 AM

wait.

So you're married with a child on the way - a family to take care of.

You quit your job to play poker for a living.

You play 3/6 and are in need of a poker coach.

Perhaps the better alternative would have been to get good first before quitting your job.

=[
Old 11-20-2005, 06:03 AM

what python said.