Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 12-10-2005, 08:35 PM

Default I\'m still crying

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (5.20 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

River: (10.20 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Villin shows 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for a 7 high straight flush
Final Pot: 18.20 BB

First bad beat post. It left me speechless; shortly thereafter I found I could yell quite loud. Bad beat posts suck.

Pokertini
Old 12-10-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: I\'m still crying

45c isn't as bad as 66
Old 12-10-2005, 08:39 PM

It seems worse.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:57 PM

Your play was worse than his.

Why in the hell did you check the flop? Who's going to bet here? WHY DIDY OU TRY TO CHECK RAISE THE TURN? Who are you planning to check raise?

His play was fine and understandable, yours baffles me a bit. (Excluding preflop)

Edit: Well, this is 5/10, but with a table that loose preflop you still need to assume they are calling bets on this flop and turn instead of a silly check check raise play.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:40 PM

Well, here was my thinking on the flop. I have top set with no flush or straight draws. I thought I was far enough ahead of the field to try and collect money on the turn. Plus, I didn't expect any callers if I bet. What would they be calling? I typically do not slowplay topset unless there are no straight or flush draws on the board.

On the turn, I improve to Aces full. I check hoping a weak ace, a 6 or a pair decides to bet. My hand is still ahead of everyone expcept for 66. On the river, the 3rd club falls. I figure I'm up against a flush. Well, I was I guess.

You have criticized my play as bad. That may very well be the case. At what point do you slowplay a hand? I played to get the most money in the pot. On the river, I only lose to 66 and a straight flush!

Pokertini
Old 12-10-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, here was my thinking on the flop. I have top set with no flush or straight draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently 45s has a open ended straight draw

edit: and a backdoor flush draw.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:51 PM

This is the punishment you deserve for checking the flop.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What would they be calling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe a straight draw, a gutshot and a pair

Maybe a weak ace, see:

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn, I improve to Aces full. I check hoping a weak ace, a 6 or a pair decides to bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You have criticized my play as bad. That may very well be the case. At what point do you slowplay a hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

when the pot is small and you hope to win ONE OR TWO more bets from a weaker hand and don't mind being occasionaly drawn out on (see: SSHE)
Old 12-10-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: (10.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 12-11-2005, 07:20 AM

Well I'm a little suprised you all think I played this hand incorrectly, but I appreciate your comments and will take them into consideration. Clearly you all think the flop should have been bet outright from EP? None of you would have tried for a check raise here?

Pokertini