Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Rough low in multi-way pot

My first hand post for Stud 8/better. In this hand, it's impossible I'm up against a better low once I make it, but on 5th street, against all of the other players, should I continue? If there are no other low draws in sight, I think it's reasonable to say that in a pot this multiway, I shouldn't fold the draw, correct? Since it's 4-way, my raises are for value, but I think I should've started raising on 6th street. I think going for overcalls and then raising when it's back to me would've been smarter as it turned out. Thoughts?
Old 11-25-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Rough low in multi-way pot

Post the hand history or board cards please if possible.
I presume you are on 5th with 4 to a low and one brick.

If everyone else is going high then you should be raising
or overcalling, depending on position and aggressiveness of
opponents.

[edit] It also matters a lot how live the low cards you
need are, which is why it is good to show the hand history.
If all the cards you need are live it's much much better.

However if someone else has a possible 4 low you have to bear
in mind that you may be drawing to a 2nd best hand. Probably
still stay in but slow down a bit.

If you can stay multiway beyond 5th you can make a good profit
by jamming with a 1-way low. Something as weak as a gutshot str8
draw in addition makes these hands great.

It's hard to say though w/out the hand history.

Good luck with Stud8, it's a great game!

Aq.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:40 AM

Hm, could've sworn I posted it. Let me repost then. Sorry guys:

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.10/$0.20), Ante $0.02, Bring-In $0.05 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.90 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (5.95 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises

6th Street - (21.95 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

River - (29.95 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___raises___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___raises___calls

Total pot: (45.95 BB)
Old 11-25-2005, 09:45 AM

That's a great situation you were in.

I'm not sure I raise 4th with Seat 2 in as
I dont want to knock out the other high hands.
However once Seat 2 folds it looks a lot
better. Your hand is pretty live for the low.

No possible lows against you on 5th but with
everyone else happy to bet for you I would
call along.

On 6th I would have raised the 2nd time it came
round as it looks by then that no-one is giving up.
Note you have 4 live 5's for the str8 as well.

nh.

Aq.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:52 PM

On fourth, I think calling is best. You don't particularly want to drive people out. If seat 2 has a hand that you would want him to fold, he probably isn't folding anyway. On fifth, you have a hand that is probably worth jamming with. Since these guys are jamming anyway, I think calling along is best. On sixth, I would just call the first bet, but raising when it comes back to you is mandatory. You have an absolute lock for low and are making money on every bet that goes into the pot. It doesn't get any better than that. The guys with open pairs aren't going anywhere, and the draw probably isn't either. Get your money in there.