Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 09:33 AM

Default How important is position in PLO8?

Looking at my position vs. win rate there isn't a high correlation. However I don't have enough hand in my database for this to be really proven.

Can someone with a large database take a screen shot of their position stats and post them. It would also be nice to include limits and how many hands the stats cover? I will post my limited stats when I get home.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Re: How important is position in PLO8?

Mine are the same way. I really wonder at the limits I play for full ring games, whether position is somewhat overated, especially in PL where the re-raise is such a big weapon.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:26 AM

Here's my screencap from 40K hands at limits ranging from $25 - $100 PLO/8. My bb/100 does improve along with my position. Edit: Actually, maybe it's mostly just the button position that is improved by position.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:56 AM

In my honest opinion, most people haven't got the slightest clue how to use position. Yes it is overrated to a large degree, but still very important. Infact I do make a lot of money from players who think position means if everyone checks, they can bet their nothing.
If like Party Poker you're playing a game where there will always be a showdown and people are shoving, then position is a lot less important.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:24 AM

I actually played a hand against you once, where I was afraid to steal on the button because I had a feeling you were itching to re-steal from me. When you do suspect that the button is guilty of larceny, do you check-raise the full size of the pot or is a min-raise or somewhere in the middle just as effective?
Old 09-23-2005, 11:31 AM

Actually my results are somewhat better positionally than I remembered. However, my VPIP really does not vary. These stats are from .25-1 like yours.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually played a hand against you once, where I was afraid to steal on the button because I had a feeling you were itching to re-steal from me. When you do suspect that the button is guilty of larceny, do you check-raise the full size of the pot or is a min-raise or somewhere in the middle just as effective?

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, I very rarely steal from the button, almost all of my bets are value bets because I fully expect to be called. I do most of my stealing from under the gun on the turn, because you get a ton of respect, and everyone expects under the gun to check the flop when it hits, so if everyone checks behind you, it's a great time to bet on the turn.
I do like to check raise people on the button. I'm also just as happy to check hands down when I have a good hand in a blinds only small pot. I let the opponent decide if he wants to make it big or not.
The reason right now the button is valuable for me is not because you can bluff, but because when you bet, you get called. Likewise I expect the button to bet if everyone checks, so I will check hoping to check raise the whole table.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:11 PM

Position is pretty important in all NL/PL games. It’s more important in games where the hand values run closer together, like Omaha, as opposed to Holdem.

My stats show a smooth curve from EP thru the button on VPIP, PFR, % of hands won and so on, with a greater spike in CO and Button.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:52 PM

I believe it, but my results don't bear it out to the degree of importance that many people claim. Maybe that is my shortcoming, I tend to multi-table a lot, and as a result probably take less advantage of position than if I were paying closer attention to every factor.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:05 PM

Position is much more important in games where people don't shove. As we all know on Party Poker, people like to shove, completely negating any advantage of position. As it gives you no more information on later streets.