Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 10:48 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Limit O8 Players-What Is Your Hourly Rate?

Hey there folks! After I get married this October, I'll be stopping my home games and building a bankroll of 1500-2000 dollars, to go semi-pro (i.e. won't quit my day job) to play Omaha hi/lo 8 or better. I figure to start at limits of 3/6 and 5/10.

Looking to see from the players who've been doing it for awhile, what you're looking at for an hourly rate.

When you put this number down, be sure to mention the following:

1. What limit(s) are you playing at?

2. Full tables or short-handed tables?

3. How many tables are you playing (1, 2, 4, 8, etc?)

I was looking to single and 2-table at first, but eventually move somewhere in the 4-8 range if things go well.

I plan to acquire poker tracker and player view to use as well. Thanks for any info, and if you're making a profit, congrats, hope to be at another table when I'm making mine. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Limit O8 Players-What Is Your Hourly Rate?

Quite frankly, it depends.

I play limit 1/2, and will rarely have a losing session. With that being said, I would figure that I make about 4-5BB/100 hands or so. When I play 6-handed instead, I will earn upwards of 6-7BB/100 hands. All depends on the table and who is playing I guess.

I usually will only play one 6-handed table at a time, but if I'm playing a full ring on Party, I will generally only play 2 tables since the action seems to be a bit quicker on that site.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:01 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
Quite frankly, it depends.

I play limit 1/2, and will rarely have a losing session. With that being said, I would figure that I make about 4-5BB/100 hands or so. When I play 6-handed instead, I will earn upwards of 6-7BB/100 hands. All depends on the table and who is playing I guess.

I usually will only play one 6-handed table at a time, but if I'm playing a full ring on Party, I will generally only play 2 tables since the action seems to be a bit quicker on that site.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming 100 hands at one table is about an hour (50 hands per hour)? So you'd be making 2.5BB/hour (or $5/hr) playing 1/2?
Old 05-18-2005, 12:19 PM

Haven't played for long but you might find some of this useful.

"2. Full tables or short-handed tables?"

Upside of shorthanded is the hourly rate per table is higher since you play alot more hands per hour. Downside is it is harder to multitable.

"3. How many tables are you playing (1, 2, 4, 8, etc?)"

I think to play more than 4 requires to play multiple limits. I don't think there are enough tables to play 5+ at any one level and still practice good table selection. I've only 4tabled so far (at O8, I 6-8 table sngs), so maybe someone who plays 5+ can chime in.

I don't think you should spend much time single tabling. Only enough to get used to playing online (if you haven't played much online). Full ring O8 is so slow that adding a 2nd table shouldn't make any difference.

I wouldn't mind hearing some hourly rates either from 3/6 (which I'll move to in the next few days), 5/10 SH and 10/20.

3/6 a good player might make around $50 an hr 4tabling.
5/10 SH would get $100+.

Full ring is about 50 hands per hr.
6max have no idea but I'd guess maybe 75.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:39 PM

The full rings that I play are usually lower then 50 per hour. I would guess the average is a little below 40 with some tables as low as 30.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:52 PM

"The full rings that I play are usually lower then 50 per hour. I would guess the average is a little below 40 with some tables as low as 30."

Seriously? 30? My average is 48.5 over 4k hands.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:56 PM

I will check when I get home but I way pretty sure that it was around 40. Are you playing much shorthanded? How much higher limits (higher then .5/1) have you been playing? Maybe 1/2 and 2/4 plays faster then .5/1.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:05 PM

No shorthanded, and nearly all of those hands are .5/1.

I've played some offpeak hours as well which would bring my average up. 40 seems really low though. Maybe you're just practicing much better table selection (I haven't so far, only since I bought PV a couple of days ago when moving to 2/4). I'd agree on 45ish as an average figure though.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:10 PM

Playing short handed, you can get a pretty decent win rate by playing more aggressively, but it definitely takes more attention to play the players like that.

With loose-full tables, the winrate is lower, but you can dang near play on autopilot.

I'm totally new to the game. Or mostly new. Over my first 4000 hands at Party, playing mostly $.50/1.00, full tables, I've got a win rate of 3.3/100H, which isn't great, but also nothing to sneeze at.

I usually like to play 2-3 full tables at a time.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing short handed, you can get a pretty decent win rate by playing more aggressively, but it definitely takes more attention to play the players like that.

With loose-full tables, the winrate is lower, but you can dang near play on autopilot.

I'm totally new to the game. Or mostly new. Over my first 4000 hands at Party, playing mostly $.50/1.00, full tables, I've got a win rate of 3.3/100H, which isn't great, but also nothing to sneeze at.

I usually like to play 2-3 full tables at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm in this for the money, obviously. So I'd be looking to go the autopilot route and play 2-4 full tables, I'm not a big fan of short-handed play.

While I've certainly heard, time and time again, that shorthanded play can be more profitable, I prefer a full table with more money on it for me to grab (and more players in a pot chasing 2nd-4th nut hands).

I've already started doing some scouting, watching people play hands like 4/4/9/K like it's gold. :P