Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Why would anyone raise 2x the blind?

55 sit n go at Party. Level 1

2 limpers and the button doubles the blind. I know it's a dumb move but I am at a loss for what the fish is thinking when he does this?

What kind of hands are they doing this with? Help me get inside their heads?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Why would anyone raise 2x the blind?

Most of the time they have no idea themselves why they do it. I'm guessing they have no clue what they're trying to accomplish with that bet. They usually just see 2 face cards, good enough for a raise.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:07 AM

I think players who minraise limpers often have a limit mentality. They see a hand that plays well in *limit* multiway pots, and raise for value figuring that they have an equity edge over the field. So, they often hold hands like ATs and KQs. Other times players will do this with medium-pair type hands...I think it may be because they want to build a pot that other players will feel committed to in case they flop a set. Or perhaps they do it in the hope that someone will limp-reraise them so they can experience the rush of gambling with a vulnerable hand. Another reason may be that they have a hand like KJo and think that if no one re-raises them preflop they can be more confident their TP is best if that's what they flop.

I'm not sure. One thing I strongly believe, though, is that they are thinking *something,* even if they can't articulate what that something is.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:59 AM

Many people do that w/AK; miniraise a pot with a few limpers.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:06 AM

another reason is that they are afraid to raise more. they know their hand is somewhat good so they figure they should raise but dont want to put many more chips in preflop
Old 12-06-2005, 01:34 AM

geometric growth of the POT

lol
Old 12-06-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure. One thing I strongly believe, though, is that they are thinking *something,* even if they can't articulate what that something is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats very true ilya. They are trying to play as best they can, and must be thinking something. The list of reasons you give seems to match up pretty well with observations,too.
"My cards are above average"
"This builds long run value(?)"
"I gotta know if theres a monster out there"
"If i flop a set, they all have to pay me off now"
and my personal favorite-
"I want to disguise my hand! They'll all put me on AA, bwahaha...they'll all fold to 1 bet, and I win pot on flop! Every time!!"
Old 12-06-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2 limpers and the button doubles the blind. I know it's a dumb move but I am at a loss for what the fish is thinking when he does this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Monster: "I finally got aces! If I raise too much everyone will fold."

AK-ish hand: "This is a raising hand, but it's also a drawing hand, so I have to raise but I want to see a flop without paying too much first."

KJs-ish hand: "Everybody knows that you shouldn't let people in cheap when you have a good hand. I guess my hand isn't that good, though, so I just raise a little bit."

Crap hand: "You have to mix it up sometimes. Plus, if I flop two pair or trips I want some money in the pot."

This is partially for entertainment value, as I don't think the majority of players are quite this bad at $55, but that's my guess at a sampling of what people are thinking when they do make those moves with those hands.

eastbay
Old 12-06-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Monster: "I finally got aces! If I raise too much everyone will fold."

AK-ish hand: "This is a raising hand, but it's also a drawing hand, so I have to raise but I want to see a flop without paying too much first."

KJs-ish hand: "Everybody knows that you shouldn't let people in cheap when you have a good hand. I guess my hand isn't that good, though, so I just raise a little bit."

Crap hand: "You have to mix it up sometimes. Plus, if I flop two pair or trips I want some money in the pot."

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice post, eastbay.

Summary: "I play bad."
Old 12-06-2005, 03:53 AM

Min-raising first in seems quite effective though.