Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: gretzky takes on posada

Poster above who talked about lateral movement was on the money I think. Side to side movement and skate saves are a big part of goaltending, so putting a catcher with feet in the dirt would be a big disadvantage. Shots at close range with a relatively immobile catcher would give the hockey player a big advantage.

I think this is one of those useless comparisons, in that both positions are difficult, both require good hand eye coordination, but the sports are too different. I never played either one at any sort of high level, but did some catching and goaltending at the low level kid stuff I did play. Different beasts IMO. Getting hit with a puck or ball hurts either way tho.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:40 PM

the above poster did hit the nail on the head for sure.

"all of them" is not the correct answer though. the shooter would have to be perfect and the goalie would have to not block one, that won't happen.

EDIT: above poster=youtalkfunny
Old 12-02-2005, 11:43 PM

I think the shooter would score a heavy majority, just like I think a major league pitcher could throw the ball into a net guarded by a catcher if he was only 25 feet away.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:41 AM

can I get Al Macinnis to skate up from the blue line and slap one from 20 feet?
Mac scores 19. Blast the first shot at Posada's head. The next 19 go in because Posada's in an ambulance on the way to the hospital.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:47 AM

can i ask why he is going to the hospital if NHL goalie's never get hurt (bad enough to warrant going to the hospital b/c of taking a shot to the head)?

they get the same protective equipment.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can i ask why he is going to the hospital if NHL goalie's never get hurt (bad enough to warrant going to the hospital b/c of taking a shot to the head)?

they get the same protective equipment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because most nhl goalies are smart enough to duck if Al got a 20ft wind up slap shot.
The equipment isn't designed to protect from that shot. It just doesn't happen during regular play.
A 100+ mph slapshot to the head would probably knock him out cold and give him a concussion.

Goalies have been knocked out of games by slapshots. Al broke one goalies rib with a shot. He also shot a puck through the webbing of a glove, breaking the goalies hand.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:22 AM

ouch [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

so do we need to either back him up or not have al take the shot?
Old 12-03-2005, 02:50 AM

I would suggest that the shot come from a standstill. Also, that the shooter uses a regulation stick.

I think the goalies best chance is to start in a butterfly, giving the top of the net. 5-10 of the high shots might either be saved or shot high/wide.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the goalies best chance is to start in a butterfly, giving the top of the net. 5-10 of the high shots might either be saved or shot high/wide.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is easily his best option.

The catcher is going to have trouble making athletic kick saves on low shots, because he is not used to doing that. He will, however, be able to glove some high shots. If he comes out to cut off the angle and takes away the bottom of the net with a butterfly, the shooter is going to have a tough time finding the top corner.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:12 PM

A hockey goalie is more about reaction time where a catcher is more about technique of blocking baseballs. I would put the best defensive catcher well below average of all hockey goalies.