Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 01:49 PM

Default ATo Flops Three Tens...

I'm not sure if raising the flop was better or waiting until the turn was best. MP1 and MP2 are Loose Passive, but capable of bluffing for no reason in a bad spot. Other player is average. MP1 actually baffles me, he is 50/.5/.5 but a 3BB/100 winner over 500 hands. He's on my buddy list, but never seems to lose.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>
Old 11-28-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: ATo Flops Three Tens...

500 hands is of course miniscule. And easy flop call going for overcalls. Given that you have position, I kind of like calling the turn and raising/betting the river. OTOH, you get to knock out a decent number of gutshots and charge any BDflush draw that peeled, and if MP2 is just FOS he'll probably give up by the river anyway. So to answer your question, I don't know.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:01 PM

I think I would favour a raise on the flop rather than the turn. The turn raise is announcing your T, a flop raise is a bit more questionable and might get played back at. Plus the odds are better for people to call 2 on the flop.

I think overcalling both streets and raising the river would also be okay, and probably the line I would have taken if I was in the hand and forced to that decision.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:12 PM

I think you should raise on the flop here, rather than waiting for the turn. Raising on the turn with flopped trips is considered the "standard" play, as most players would wait until the turn to reveal the strength of their hand. If you raise on the flop, it may look like a bluff/steal attempt, as most players wouldn't expect someone who flopped trips to come out betting/raising. You may be able to trap all 3 players for 2 bets on the flop, maybe 3 or 4 if the original flop bettor re-raises you.

By waiting until the turn, you are driving 2 of your 3 opponents out of the pot with your raise. Unless BB and MP1 are really loose, they'll fold to 2 BBs on the turn. However, if you raise on the flop and build the pot, BB and MP1 may decide to continue with their hand b/c the pot has grown so large.

Another possibility, which I state as something to think about rather than what I'd do in most situtations, if wait until the river to raise your trips. There is a flush draw out there on the turn, and it's possible that one of your opponents has a flush draw, but other than that, you aren't losing out on much by waiting until the river to raise. By simply calling the turn, you may get BB and/or MP1 to call MP2's turn bet. Then, if MP2 bets again on the river, you can raise, thus making the same from MP2 as if you had bet the turn, but with the additional turn bets that BB and MP1 put into the pot. Furthermore, BB and/or MP1 may, having already called this far, decide to call 2 bets on the river and get to the showdown. Something to consider...
Old 11-28-2005, 02:16 PM

The reason I dislike raising the flop is that while people may not give you credit for a T, they aren't calling two bets with crap that is drawing almost dead KJ or 55 or what have you, that they would often call 1 bet for. You calling looks more like UI AK/AQ or something than a slowplayed T, since that's how a lot of people would play that hand and is more commonly raised preflop.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I dislike raising the flop is that while people may not give you credit for a T, they aren't calling two bets with crap that is drawing almost dead KJ or 55 or what have you, that they would often call 1 bet for. You calling looks more like UI AK/AQ or something than a slowplayed T, since that's how a lot of people would play that hand and is more commonly raised preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, especially at small stakes. Players who call a raise preflop will often call 2 bets on the flop, especially if they have overcards, a pocket pair or an Ace. A flop like this (T-T-6) is very likely to have missed everybody, so a poor play holding any Ace, a pocket pair, or two overcards may believe that if they can hit one of their overcards on the turn or make trips, they will take the lead, or at the very least, will call down the hand.

While I agree that sometimes, a player who is willing to call 2 bets on the flop may have a good hand or a good draw, it depends on the players you're going up against, as there are those out there who will call 2 bets on the flop with subpar holdings.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:43 PM

Ok we're just thinking of different games. I'm thinking of almost approaching the neighborhood of decent players at my local live 5/10 game or even some of the looser 5/10 or 3/6 party games, you seem (from my memory of games) to be refencing 2/4 live/online games or less, where people will routinely call many bets with absolutely nothing, instead of calling only 1 bet with nothing or 2 or more with something weak.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:57 PM

i don't really like raising this hand preflop. in fact i probably just fold it. is that a debate, or is it ok?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok we're just thinking of different games. I'm thinking of almost approaching the neighborhood of decent players at my local live 5/10 game or even some of the looser 5/10 or 3/6 party games, you seem (from my memory of games) to be refencing 2/4 live/online games or less, where people will routinely call many bets with absolutely nothing, instead of calling only 1 bet with nothing or 2 or more with something weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not posting at Fantasy Hockey Cafe are you? I think someone has the same screen name over there. And if this is the case.....it's a really small world.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't really like raising this hand preflop. in fact i probably just fold it. is that a debate, or is it ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you housenuts. I don't see raising this hand after 2 EP limpers. First in, yeah, but after 2 limpers? I would fold it and wait for a better spot to get my money in.