Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-26-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Being backed for cash games..

I have a friend who has alot of money due to being in business for himself. He works with large $ amounts but I will not elaborate. Anyway, he actually knows I play poker and offered to back me to play in higher stake cash games since i've talked to him sometimes and told him how i'd love to stab at a higher game but don't want to rush anything. Problem is, i'd hate to lose his money since we are friends in real life and i'd probably feel worse about it than he would. Would anyone be backed by a friend if they say had.... 20k and were playing 400 nl, and he offered to back you for 2k nl. Has anyone actually done this? How'd it work out.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Being backed for cash games..

It's 5a.m., I'm no genius to begin with, it's been 29 hours since I've slept and this STILL sounds like a positively shi**y idea.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:39 AM

Well, since you would'nt feel comfortable losing his money I don't think this is a good idea at all. Playing with scared money is not something you want to do.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:45 AM

If you are even more scared to play with someone else's money, how do you even play with your own. If I were you, I wouldn't let this guy stake you.

On a side, this is how I am when it comes to the cardroom: "Neither a borrower or lender be!"
Old 11-26-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are even more scared to play with someone else's money, how do you even play with your own. If I were you, I wouldn't let this guy stake you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Simple.

If I lose my money I have nobody to blame but myself and know how the game works since there are ups and downs. My friend on the other hand would not know this and all he'd know is that he just lost a large sum of money to someone he thought would make him money.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:02 PM

I have been backed and have backed others. Some were friends, some were just players I thought played well and needed a start. I think the important thing to ask is if you can emotionally and mentally sperate yourself from the friendship while playing with their money. Your friend expressed interest in backing you and must realize their is an inherent risk with poker, so thatt should not be one of the considerations. However, if you try and cannot succesfully tell yourself this is ONLY a business proposition, then do not incolve yourself in it.