Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-15-2005, 10:01 PM

Default Advice when your immediate boss is a retard

I've come close to gouging my eyes out several times over the past few weeks. My manager is an idiot. This isn't a "I don't agree with his management style," because he doesn't have one.

Everyday occurrences:
1. Fails to grasp basic functions of department (purchasing/sourcing).
2. "Drop everything and work on this": something that he 'needs' for his boss, which really isn't that important.
3. No backbone--doesn't stick up for department, thereby sticking us with extra work, then complains to us, "they just don't understand how much we do."
4. No incentive to improve anything. No major changes in workflow in the 3 years he's been there.

Frustrated as hell, which is why I'm gonna bail fairly soon. Any other 'boss' stories?

Edit: Realized I didn't ask for any advice...anyone else going through this? How do you make it through the day?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Advice when your immediate boss is a retard

Solution=get better at poker.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:34 PM

Idiot Boss = Par For The Course

When you find a good boss, keep him. They are very, very rare.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:52 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

My boss story I wrote a post about a year ago. It's called, "showdown with the boss..."

I think it was in news/gossip forum. If you can find it, you might really enjoy it.

b
Old 11-15-2005, 11:59 PM

I dealt with by becoming depressed. I avoid most of my superiors. Within the last few months my new immeadiate boss is awesome. We bot sit back in awe of the craziness going on. Every person above him is disgusting. I would seriously deal w/ it by looking for a new job. Sadly I can not. I am stuck until my contract is over. I've bent over backwards while they insert the sandpaper condom for several years and now they are trying to [censored] me on using my vacation before I leave. I can go on for hours. Back on point zoning out helps and having mental images of hurting your boss flash again and again might not be healthy but it's sorta soothing. We have had several suicide attempts in the last 18-24 months and two domestic/spouse abuse incidents in the last month. One consisting of a guy strangling his wife until a coworker visting had to stop him.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:04 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default here it is...

enjoy!

Boss post

b
Old 11-16-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Everyday occurrences:
1. Fails to grasp basic functions of department (purchasing/sourcing).
2. "Drop everything and work on this": something that he 'needs' for his boss, which really isn't that important.
3. No backbone--doesn't stick up for department, thereby sticking us with extra work, then complains to us, "they just don't understand how much we do."
4. No incentive to improve anything. No major changes in workflow in the 3 years he's been there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Add to that:

1. Obsessive compulsive cleaning disorder.
2. Lies to upper management about subordinates.
3. Takes credit for others work
4. Sits at desk all day and surfs internet

..and you pretty well have my idiot boss.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:15 AM

Except for the cleaning disorder, this sounds like most every boss I've ever had.

One thing I can recommend is to scrupulously document everything.

If you have a timecard, photocopy it for proof so that you can't get screwed by false changes to it or "malfunctions" of any kind. Keep logs on your work and make copies of them. Take at least one copy home, and keep at least one at your desk. Make copies, if possible, on floppies and take them home too.

Document everything as to date and time that you can. If you are taking vacations, going home early for whatever reason, will be coming in late cuz you're going to the dentist -- whatever -- do NOT handle it verbally alone, but write your boss a dated memo. Keep a hard copy of the memo. File a copy with the personnel department so your boss can't screw around without getting the personnel department to lie or cheat you, too, which should at least slow him down a little, if you're lucky.

I'm not saying all bosses are evil, but sometimes a boss needs a fall guy. Sometimes he just loves drama and intrigue and would get some kicks out of trying to destroy people just to thrill in his power or feel better about his own miserable life. Even if you're not under attack now, prepare for it calmly and rationally and without regret. I spent years dodging sometimes near daily attempts to lynch me by psycho bosses by documenting things thoroughly enough that screwing me became exceptionally difficult and required real thought and planning. Which most bosses, not anywhere near as smart as they think they are, find difficult to manage.

Boy Scout Motto: Be Prepared.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:22 AM

Does your boss have pointy hair?