Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Presto out of position

My image at the table had a lot to do with how I played this hand initially. I'd raised three of the last 6 pots and taken most of them, and people had begun to coldcall me with mediocre holdings to stop me from stealing. I was relatively sure that almost any hand that would procude a call for one bet would also be a call for two from a few of the oppnents on my left, so I did what I almost never do in this game (Full Tilt 5/10, btw... very tight), and openlimp. The button is very aggressive in position and could be holding any pair, any paint, or something like A2o to be quite honest. BB is new to the table, no reads.

So, given all of that, I'm interested if I was totally out of line openlimping, and then leaving that question aside, whether this was standard postflop. Mucho gracias.

Hero has 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the UTG+1.
UTG folds, hero calls, several folds, Button raises, SB folds, BB calls, hero calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB bets, hero raises, button folds, BB calls.
(Nice flop for 55!)

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB checks, hero bets, BB calls.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, hero checks.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Presto out of position

Just for the future, the word is "preclude." Don't worry, I'm not a nit.

I play the hand the same way. No point in betting the river as you will get called by better hands. Flop checkraise and turn bet are good IMO. Nice aggressive way to play the hand and good for the metagame.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:06 PM

This is a full game, right? I wouldn't call with 55, especailly when the game is tight.

Soh
Old 11-11-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a full game, right? I wouldn't call with 55, especailly when the game is tight.

Soh

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is a 9 handed table with I think 1 guy sitting out. I'd agree under normal circumstances -- 55 is a terrible openlimp hand. That said, a raise on my part in this specific spot will: 1.) not fold any hands that were going to overlimp (due to the fact that people were starting to loosen a little to preclude me from "stealing"), 2.) Inflate the pot in such a way that 3 or 4 handed I'm totally effed without a flopped set. I hate both of these things. WHo knows, maybe this is an episode of FPS, but it felt right at the time.

Are you advocating an open fold?
Old 11-11-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. The fact that it was 7 (or perhaps 6 -- I forget ho wmany were sitting out but it was at least 1 at a 9 handed table with one seat empty) handed was part of why I was so reluctant to do the 10-handed thing and just fold it.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:31 PM

I would fold preflop here. I think this is a pretty bad time to be playing this type of hand. The table is tight, so you aren't getting big implied odds if you do flop a set. You're likely to be heads up out of position against an opponent who thinks you've been stealing pots, and is less likely to get pushed off a marginal hand. That being said I think you played the rest of the hand very well.