Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 11-04-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Re: What\'s a good staking deal for WSOP ME 2006?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Overall, this is an excellent offer for a low-limit player. You put your friend up in your room, and buy him a dozen meals - what's that cost you? Maybe $200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming he stays 8 days, $200 is $25/day. Where can one get a hotel and 3 meals for $25/day? Even the cheapest Vegas rooms are at least $40/day (and I'm talking Motel 6, not anything fancy). And I think his friend would tire of the $2 buffets if he had to eat them for every meal.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is more likely his stay will be one day and only one meal before they are back on the plane heading home. This makes it an even better deal. In case he makes the final table what diference will the cost of the room and meals make?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:59 PM

It's not a good deal, especially considering how easy it is for even a low-limit player to qualify for this particular event.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Of the first 10,000 in winnings, he receives 100% I receive 0%

[/ QUOTE ]

He's only putting up 5K, why does he get a 100% bonus on makeup?

[ QUOTE ]
3. On every dollar over $10,000 I get 40% and he gets 60%

[/ QUOTE ]

Should be 50/50 down the middle including the initial 10K, if you are putting up 5K.

[ QUOTE ]
4. I must pay his hotel and food costs for the time he is in Vegas rooting for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That amounts to an unbetable rake, IMO. Even if he stayed in a sh*thole hotel, ate the most budget meals and didn't take cabs, it's still about $150 a day probably.

If anything, he should be splitting YOUR hotel costs for the trip, since they are essential business expenses for this particular adventure.

Really, this is a terrible proposal. There's like 9 months before the WSOP ME, for all you know you'll be worh a lot more money by then and can afford to buy your way in on your own. More likely, with a reasonable amount of effort, you'll be able to get into the ME for 2-3K, have your expenses covered, and keep 100% of your action.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:13 PM

The OP is not a Fossilman or Scotty Nguyen, he is a LL grinder. Nothing wrong with that except his reasonable expectations are not to cash in the tournament. Therefore his variance is reduced by nearly 50% by his friend throwing away 5 grand and only asking to be reimbursed for his expenses as recompense.

Others including you Shaniac are all assuming the OP is guaranteed to place in the money. A more reasonable assumption is that he is nearly guaranteed to not place in the money.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:53 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

He forgot to mention that his friend is a two-headed 600-pound beast who will cost him hundreds per day in meals. I've included a picture so that you can all assist with the deal-making more reasonably:

I apologize, but we could only get his face into the shot, he's THAT fat.

My recommendation is that this is a bad deal. OP admits he's a losing player in MTT's, and a winning low-limit CASH game player.

They're two different worlds. He's better off using his 5K to move up in stakes for cash games, play satellites or enter lower buy-in tournaments and increase his experience.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

First, this needs to be dealt with as a business deal. He is banking on your abilities as a poker player to get an ROI. You need to go into the arrangement with the belief that you can provide ROI. If he thinks it is too much of a risk or if you think there is a high probability that you cannot make it, you two should not do a deal.

Since he is only putting up half it is completely unreasonable for him to expect 100% of the first $10K. The first $10K should be split 50/50 so you both recoup your investment. After that you can do 60/40 for him if you feel his $5K contribution is that vital (read: you cannot get in any other way).

[/ QUOTE ]