Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 11:14 PM

Default s000ted QJ in the blinds... where do you find a fold?

Watch me chipspew! Honestly, I think there are a few places where I could've found a fold here, starting with pre-flop. That said, I wonder how you all out in TV land would've proceeded with this hand.

Reads:
SB is a maniac... 40/20/2 over a fairly substantial sample. He had just sat down at this table, but I've seen him play before. He sees a showdown almost everytime he gets in a hand. UTG will raise almost any pp, AK-AT (suited and not), KQs-KTs, and lots of other hands here, and I've got him at 35/9/1.3 over 65 hands. Suspect his PFR% will rise as time goes on, because 9 didn't seem to accurately reflect his range. His postflop play isn't that unreasonable. Button is TAG and may be a 2+2er... 19/9/1.5 over large sample. No other particular reads.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter sux balls

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG raises, 5 folds, Button calls, SB 3-bets, Hero calls, UTG calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players)
SB bets, Hero calls, UTG raises, Button calls, SB 3-bets, Hero calls, UTG calls, Button calls.

I had planned on call/raising the field if it was merely raised to my left, but watching MP 3-bet it and button call three cold threw me off big time. Is calling two bets here when its back to me just awful?

Turn: (12 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 players)
SB bets, Hero calls, UTG raises</font>, Button calls, SB 3-bets, Hero folds, UTG caps, Button calls, SB calls.

He did it again. I've gotta be drawing dead, right? What else could he have here? I doubt AA -- he'd have 3-bet that PF.

River: (25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB bets, UTG raises, Button folds, SB 3-bets, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 31 BB
Old 11-02-2005, 11:15 PM

Default Re: s00ted QJ in the blinds... where do you find a fold?

I would fold preflop but I'm not folding the turn.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Re: s000ted QJ in the blinds... where do you find a fold?

Well I would raise the flop. And theres no way I'm folding the turn. Unless I have a read, that he has a bigger draw i.e 1:10,000.

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2005, 12:03 AM

fold preflop.

call flop - pretty easy

call turn - you still have an ENORMOUS draw and you are nowhere near drawing dead.

fold river.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:43 AM

The problem I see with calling preflop is that you have only 3 opponents and you know SB likes his hand enough to try to push you out, and you don't know if UTG likes his enough to cap it.

The writing is on the wall that you will have little if any top pair equity so you are looking to make your draw, and your read of the table texture is agressive enough post flop that you will be paying too much with not enough overlay to make this a profitable adventure.

Sure you could hit this flop hard and charge the maniac big-time, but he's on your right, save your chips for a better moment.

Once you flop it you are going along for the ride until the river misses you and you muck it.