Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-02-2005, 07:32 PM

Default notre dame-racial issues & their future

lately, it seems everytime i turn on ESPN they are playing the race card and here it is again. charlie weiss gets a 10 year extension and its b/c he is white (as opposed to ty willingham being black).

ty was 7-0 and to weiss' 5-2 at this point in his first season but had played a softer schedule (two less top 25 teams) but i don't see this as the arguement. the arguement lies in recruiting and rebuilding ND into the tradition and program it once was when it had holtz as a mainstay instead of the revolving door of coaches.

weiss' agent also represents the andy reid's of the nfl and when the extension was offered it struck me as what they were doing was locking him in for recruiting purposes. they don't want minnesota viking head coach rumors circulating and "going back to the NFL" as an option scaring off possible recruits. now that he is locked in, they can build their program around him, a proven coach, a winner on all levels.

i am not a ND fan but i think that this program will be tough for a long time to come. any thoughts on these racial issues?

a little FYI: i think throwing around the race card with willingham is arbitrary, b/c he sure doesn't play it. a guy that works out at my gym (who happens to be black) went to school at ND (now in the NFL) and said that before the first practice he had them in the locker room and said, "first of all i want to get one thing straight, i do not allow niggers on my team, for those of us that are black well we act like black men...there is a difference. if you get anything from your time here its that you can never make excuses in life..."

P.S. i hope this comment doesn't get me in trouble since i am just the messenger and its just proof that this whole race issue needs to stop.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Re: notre dame-racial issues & their future

The problem lies with Notre Dame and the way the handled the situation. Willingham was the first coach to not get a chance to do his thing at Notre Dame. Since he's black there is obviously going to an appearance of racism.

If Notre Dame had Weiss lined up to replace Willingham then I don't think there would be as much race card talk. Wiess is obviously a better coach than Willingham. The problem is that Notre Dame went whoring themselves to every Fad Of The Moment Coach in college football before finally landing Weiss.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:53 PM

The reason they extended his contract is because his contract buyout was very low and now with a larger buyout it's much harder for him to leave for a NFL job. The length of the deal is somewhat irrelevant.

I'd guess the reason Willingham didn't get this is that there was no chance in hell anyone was interested in him in the NFL.

Money isn't white or black.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:58 PM

Jason "Race Card" Whitlock is on the case as we speak I'm sure.
I mean, Ty was hired wasn't he?
Yawn.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:04 AM

I hate Notre Dame, but they can't win. They don't hire a black coach and they get criticized for not hiring black coaches, and they are unable to recruit the black athlete. Then they hire a black coach and there is an uproar when he is fired. This is ridiculous stop playing the race card, and come up with competent analysis.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He beat you by two days. It's on ESPN's Page 2.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:52 AM

If All-Americans go and play for every team in the SEC I think they will go play for Notre Dame.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:55 AM

The big problem I have is the difference between the two teams. When Willingham started 8-0 that team was completely different than this 5-2 Charlie Weis team.

That team had a great defense (that was built and recruited by Bob Davie). As a matter of fact Willingham didn't even hire a new defensive coaching staff. The offense was anemic and they won games by getting turnovers and not turning the ball over. And Willingham was considered an offensive guru.

This Charlie Weis coached Notre Dame team is different. He took a team that had the same talent last year and turned them from a poor ofensive team to one of the best in the country. Which is really impressive. Considering this years Notre Dame team is lacking the athletes that Tyrone Willingham had in his first year.

Notre Dame could have waited until they saw Weis recruit. Of course if you are a stud High School Quarterback tell me you are not knocking down the door at ND. Weis made Brady Quinn from a undrafted rookie to a possible first round draft pick in a year. But I think this really just a recruiting tool to prove to all recruits that Weis isn't going anywhere.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The big problem I have is the difference between the two teams. When Willingham started 8-0 that team was completely different than this 5-2 Charlie Weis team.

That team had a great defense (that was built and recruited by Bob Davie). As a matter of fact Willingham didn't even hire a new defensive coaching staff. The offense was anemic and they won games by getting turnovers and not turning the ball over. And Willingham was considered an offensive guru.

This Charlie Weis coached Notre Dame team is different. He took a team that had the same talent last year and turned them from a poor ofensive team to one of the best in the country. Which is really impressive. Considering this years Notre Dame team is lacking the athletes that Tyrone Willingham had in his first year.

Notre Dame could have waited until they saw Weis recruit. Of course if you are a stud High School Quarterback tell me you are not knocking down the door at ND. Weis made Brady Quinn from a undrafted rookie to a possible first round draft pick in a year. But I think this really just a recruiting tool to prove to all recruits that Weis isn't going anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. I just bumped an older post before reading this one where I said about the same thing.

Ty was given a good team to start with, which he ruined. Weis is winning with basically the same team that sucked last year.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He beat you by two days. It's on ESPN's Page 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh!