Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Out of line line with AJs in blinds?

Assume unknown opponents and that
I've been playing decent and haven't done anything out

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, Button calls.

River: (13.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB
Old 10-31-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Out of line line with AJs in blinds?

I normally don't bet the turn here.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:48 AM

I'd check call this turn.

Betting the turn will not win you the pot and you don't want to face a raise and possible re-raise here.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too
Old 10-31-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither do I [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2005, 02:05 AM

What is your normal play after you check/call the turn and you get your card on the river like in this example? Do you donk the river for fear of your opponents checking through or do you check hoping that your opponent value bets the river? If you do check through and UTG bets, the check/raise is obvious, but what if it's the Button who bets out? Do you call hoping for an overcall or do you raise risking both of your opponents folding?
Old 10-31-2005, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is your normal play after you check/call the turn and you get your card on the river like in this example? Do you donk the river for fear of your opponents checking through or do you check hoping that your opponent value bets the river? If you do check through and UTG bets, the check/raise is obvious, but what if it's the Button who bets out? Do you call hoping for an overcall or do you raise risking both of your opponents folding?

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably shouldn't do the same thing every time, but overcall vs c/r depends on the likely hood your opponents will call two cold, call one, or fold no matter what. So it's read dependent.

I don't know in this situation if I would donk the river or c/r. Probably donk it since it's 2/4 and my opponents will likely call anyway. Maybe I'll get a bet/3-bet in
Old 10-31-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Assume unknown opponents and that
I've been playing decent and haven't done anything out

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 10-31-2005, 02:38 AM

I remember why I bet the turn here. I check/3-bet the flop, so my opponents are more likely to fold than had it been a standard c/r as it normaly is in this situation. The more I think abou it, the more i like betting this turn as a raise isn't even that bad.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:41 AM

Checking planning to check raise does not seem like a good idea here. You have a monster draw and want to build the pot. Checkraising will usually face the field with 2 bets here. Betting with the hopes of the pfr or someone elsing raising seems best here.