Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 10-20-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Bad reputation

Party Poker (10 handed) 5-10 blinds

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, CO checks.

There is a live blind here so I raise to 35 on the button. The Villain makes it 100 to go and I call. SO far the Villain has been quite frisky, 25-30 VIP and 15% PFR...I also saw him raise an UTG raiser with 99 previously. We both have about 1k and are now headsup.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Villain bets out 150 into a 220 pot. I move allin.

Is there any light at the end of my gloomy tunnel of stupidity here?

gl

dd
Old 10-20-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Bad reputation

What table are you at? And I thought I didn't like money...
Old 10-20-2005, 07:41 PM

C'mon, at least when u posted insane plays on the PLO forum I *tried* to help. Say something else beside highlighting the obvious...you would never make a move there?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:43 PM

A few points I would like to point out to yo

1.)I would not make a habit of calling off 10 percent of my stack with k10 suited especially against a player who has tight stats.

2.)I think your flop play is sloppy as well...he is definitely not folding a set, KK, or AA. He may even call with JJ.

3.)Did you try and put villain on a hand before going all in? This board probably goes well with his hand considering it is a reaised pot.

4.)Unless the stacks are deeper I would advise folding p- flop.. it will save you money and headaches. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 07:58 PM

Thanks Obnx....my thoughts:

1. You would say these are tight stats for a full ring game? I kind of put sub 20% in the tight bracket. I'm not putting in 10% of my stack, just another 65 as I had already raised the checking live blind. Im getting more than 2:1 on the call with position.

2. I felt my intial preflop raise here looked like an isolation play against the live blind. He could be reraising v weak here. Like I said he reraised an UTG raiser with 99 b4.

3. (and some of 2 and 4 as well) Would you call with AA in this spot? He hasn't seen the other insane play I posted here...in fact if he's been paying attention then I have been playing quite tight, tighter than him.

The reason I went allin was that he was likely to continue betting the turn too. Maybe I was reading too much into the 99 hand b4, but if I just call, and he bets a blank turn again, then I will struggle to call. And if he calls my allin its likely that my 9 outs are live.

gl

dd
Old 10-20-2005, 08:20 PM

Fair enough, but plays like these are just asking for it. Here's the thing. What is villain's perception of you? If villain things you are crazy, then I see no problem calling the reraise pre, I might even smooth call the flop bet to see if he fires again on the turn, a lot of people if they reraised you there with say KQ or something will chill out on the turn. But, if villain doesn't think you are crazy, and just playing typical, then you should FOLD to his reraise preflop, he has you beat, it's stupid to call. The flop reraise all in will only be called by AA/KK/AQ, two pair, set, or maybe a weird JJ. Qx will probably fold etc, so this is a high variance with seemingly little reward type move since it sounds like so often he has a bigger than then say 77. Plays like these are really dependent on your image, opponents image, and opponent/table perception of your play. So it's hard to just give you strategy advice from a technical view point. I didn't mean to sound harsh in either post, I'm sorry if it came across that way, thanks for the PLO advice btw.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I went allin was that he was likely to continue betting the turn too. Maybe I was reading too much into the 99 hand b4, but if I just call, and he bets a blank turn again, then I will struggle to call. And if he calls my allin its likely that my 9 outs are live.

[/ QUOTE ]

He only bets the turn again if he has you smoked. Very few people have the sack to bet the turn again without a very good hand in my experience. If this was party, that 5/10 is mostly populated by nitty type players with the occasional calling station, most of the players that play there aren't crazy aggro, so when they bet they have something. At least this was my experience in that game a few months ago, I look from time to time at it and it doesn't seem to have changed much.
so
Old 10-20-2005, 08:31 PM

Np about the harsh thing...each forum has its own mood, MHNL is more jovial, PLO is far more grizzly and grumpy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My advice to you, if I recollect, was that you were going to get broke playing that way in PLO...u seem to be advising me the same in NLHE [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Two further questions. Do you really pass the reraise preflop? Considering that he might think I was leaning on the passive live blind, his tendencies seen so far (admittedly skant), 2 to 1 odds and position?

Agree about the variance thing about the flop play. But if he does think I am tight, shouldnt he pass some of those hands like AA/KK and AQ? Wouldn't you?

gl

dd
Old 10-20-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two further questions. Do you really pass the reraise preflop? Considering that he might think I was leaning on the passive live blind, his tendencies seen so far (admittedly skant), 2 to 1 odds and position?

Agree about the variance thing about the flop play. But if he does think I am tight, shouldnt he pass some of those hands like AA/KK and AQ? Wouldn't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm paying attention really well and have a good feel/control for the game I have no problem playing KTs witih position against the reraise if I'm playing lag and he is playing lag. How does he view you? Sometimes I use the psychology of well I raised his blind, and he is lag, and so if he was in my position he would raise my blind, and I would reraise, so him reraising means he just restealing. Against a majority of players this is wrong. It's wrong to think that just because you do something, means they are thinking the same thing and doing the same thing. This sounds kinda preachy, so I apologize, but people are SOO bad sometimes. I wasn't a believer before, because I steal from anyone/everyone whenever I get a chance, that I automatically think someone is stealing from me in a pot, this is just not true, they actually have a hand. Don't get caught up in thinking that he is thinking what your thinking he is thinking. Too much thinking.

At this limit, after the action going, raise, reraise, call preflop, and then pot on flop, virtually no player is laying down AA/KK, at least imo. AQ maybe, but you'd have to have a fantastic image and he'd have to be weak.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:20 AM

Good advice. I am doing too much rationalisation and giving people too much credit at times. With this play and the other I didn't feel that they were good plays at all, just maybe that there was a germ of value in them. I see now that at these stakes, there really isnt.

gl

dd