Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-20-2005, 06:40 PM

Default was i wrong here?

final three left 30+3.

stacks as i remember:

Hero- 9k+
Button-1100
SB-~3.4K

blinds 300/600
i have been the big stack the entire sng and have raised almost every hand since getting 3 handed and most before that.

button moves all in for 1100, SB calls, Hero in the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] raises to T4000, SB folds.

button flips over A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and i win the hand.

SB tells me "that was a stupid raise." then starts to berate me a little but i didn't say anything back and won within the next 3 hands.

so was i wrong to get this heads up since the short stack was at a point in the tourney where he would have to push with any two especially any A or K? and i didn't want my other opponent any healthier than he already was.

if i win this hand i am heads up with a chip advantage of almost 5-1 and the game is all but over.

tell me if i did something wrong here? i know about bluffing into dry side pots but this is different right?

FWIW, SB said he had 6's and his set would have beat my pair.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: was i wrong here?

[ QUOTE ]
final three left 30+3.

stacks as i remember:

Hero- 9k+
Button-1100
SB-~3.4K

blinds 300/600
i have been the big stack the entire sng and have raised almost every hand since getting 3 handed and most before that.

button moves all in for 1100, SB calls, Hero in the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] raises to T4000, SB folds.

button flips over A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and i win the hand.

SB tells me "that was a stupid raise." then starts to berate me a little but i didn't say anything back and won within the next 3 hands.

so was i wrong to get this heads up since the short stack was at a point in the tourney where he would have to push with any two especially any A or K? and i didn't want my other opponent any healthier than he already was.

if i win this hand i am heads up with a chip advantage of almost 5-1 and the game is all but over.

tell me if i did something wrong here? i know about bluffing into dry side pots but this is different right?

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you talking about?? Thats an obvious push, u have to be joking.
edit: this is not sarcasm btw, you have to be joking . maybe u mistyped the hands.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe u mistyped the hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
maybe you misread the stack sizes, my 4000 chips raise covered the SB and therefore pushes him all in. so yes i pushed.

my question is did i ethically do something wrong? i of course thought it was a no brainer push, but i am a cash game player that has been mixing in MTT's and sng's lately (used to play them but haven't in a long time) so i am a little rusty and was wondering if i was missing something.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:49 PM

not at all darko. good push. maybe sb was whining because if he had called he would have won the hand.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:05 PM

No, youre not breaking any rules, screw them.
Btw even if it was the bubble, u dont mind a double up that much since it puts you on position to more bullying anyway.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:19 PM

I think its obvious he was mad because he was fighting it out for 2nd. when you pushed him out of the hand, he was upset because his hand was no longer live and he couldnt try to eliminate the short stack with you. when he flopped a set, it just rubbed salt in the wound you just opened. while i can understand how someone in his position was upset, if i were in your position, i do exactly the same thing. and it was the correct move after all...not only did you bet him out of the hand, but that won it for you, set him off and you ended up winning a short time later. Why let some chump upset that you took his chance at winning away let you question your game. well done.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:26 PM

you played it great putting the SB in a tough place is your job as the chip leader and limiting the hands that could beat you SB is only whinning because you took his 1100 preflop good work

Sneakychicken
Old 10-20-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2005, 08:05 PM

It was a very bad push for the small blind. For you, it was a very good push.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:32 PM

i like this push a lot. while you couldnt have known that the SB was holding a pocket pair it puts him in the situation where he would have been all in against 2 other people and most likely 4 over cards (or three if he is sure you both share an ace) or even a bigger pocket pair. however considering the situation with the chip stacks i'm surprised the SB didnt make the call and i would be interested in his logic behind not calling. 3.4k stack and he called the big blind for about 1/5th of his stack leaving him with 2800 in chips to your 11k if you win or to your 8k and the other players 2k. obviously he is going to have to push his stack and get lucky within the next few hands just to survive anyway so why not make the call and try and get his chips in there with what is likely the best hand he is going to see before he goes broke. that is unless he was confident that he could outplay you being a 5 to 1 underdog in chips and about 3 rounds of blinds before he goes broke. personally i would have just made the gamble if i was him because even if he and the player on the button both lose to you he still gets second place which you said he seemed to be playing for anyway.