Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 09:35 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default why no mma to boxing conversions?

since mulder is about to expedite the destruction of busch stadium and i'm poking around this forum, i figured i'd ask this question.

why haven't strikers like, say, liddel or belfort given pro boxing a shot? obviously they'd need to drop weight and make a lot of changes, but i'd think if they got any kind of decent fights going they could draw a lot of money as a 'crossover' fighter.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:53 PM

Default Re: why no mma to boxing conversions?

I saw an interview with Liddell today and he said something along the lines of "boxers taking 200 quality shots to the head in one fight and he hasnt taken that many in his career", and he doesnt like to get hit. Makes sense to me.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:04 PM

Most of the top MMA guys would get destroyed by top-level boxers. Some have boxed and done well, but not against the top fighters. BTW, does anybody remember the first UFC's where it was a "battle of the martial arts?" The boxers always took a beatdown from the takedown guys. Those were the best. I remember the very first ones allowed groin shots!
However, look at K-1 and pride. Plenty of crossover action going on over there and K-1 is way more popular than boxing every could be in Japan. But kickboxing is much more like real fighting than boxing, which is why many kickboxers have been able to adjust and vice versa.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:10 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the top MMA guys would get destroyed by top-level boxers.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously, but i think if i were in their shoes i would give it a shot in private to see if it was doable just for the sake of a sweet retirement.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:35 PM

i plan on dropping some weight and kicking the [censored] out of some teenages.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
since mulder is about to expedite the destruction of busch stadium and i'm poking around this forum, i figured i'd ask this question.

why haven't strikers like, say, liddel or belfort given pro boxing a shot? obviously they'd need to drop weight and make a lot of changes, but i'd think if they got any kind of decent fights going they could draw a lot of money as a 'crossover' fighter.

[/ QUOTE ]

because boxing is stupid (worse than basketball even).
Old 10-20-2005, 11:23 AM

Its all a matter of money and training. Chuck Liddell would be stupid to go to boxing because he would be taking a pay cut and hurt his MMA status. The're have been a few that have tried it with mixed results.

Jens Pulver who was a former UFC Lightweight Champion did fairly well, but did not make any money and went back to MMA. Now,some MMA fighters will have boxing fights on small shows to help their standup and it does not count against their record.

Plus, I think boxing is rigged half the time for the big fights.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:35 PM

I think the money sucks in boxing.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:40 PM

b/c they are different sports, and switching from one to the other isn't that simple. kind of like asking why rugby players don't just become pro football players.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its all a matter of money and training. Chuck Liddell would be stupid to go to boxing because he would be taking a pay cut and hurt his MMA status. The're have been a few that have tried it with mixed results.

[/ QUOTE ]

for somebody with a decent size i don't see how they could make less money in boxing if they actually became good