Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: It\'s simple math guys

[ QUOTE ]
Also, in markets with multiple classic rock stations, often one will lean to the older era, and the other will be more late 70's, 80's, and early 90's. In markets with only one, you won't hear the older stuff played as much.

[/ QUOTE ]
this makes sense. two stations, one working as kind of a middle man to eliminate that grey area...we have this in dallas (the station plays all kinds of music from david bowie to motley crue to cream).

just so you know i mentioned the stones for a reason [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
while older Stones songs like "Time Is On My Side" or "Get Off My Cloud" don't test as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That really suprises me.. I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] both of those songs, and even the early 20-somethings can relate to "Get off my cloud" since it was sampled by ????? in the mid 90's.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:05 PM

I'll be at their show in Atlanta tomorrow. Trip report to follow.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:09 PM

The 2+2 crowd is a more informed crowd. We're going to know pop culture stuff (i.e. older Stones songs). The population at large is different. Music testing relies heavily on familiarity. "Start Me Up" is much more recognizable than the older Stones catalog. And this stuff changes all the time. Old stuff can become "cool" again. Researchers can screw up. Our research firm forgot to test Van Halen once. Not a song, but their entire catalog. Of course, we couldn't stop playing them all together.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every "classic rock" station (forget your definition of what is and isn't classic rock) is targeting men 25-54, a huge chunk of that being 35+. A guy who was in college during the heyday, and will have fond memories of Pearl Jam, STP, Alice in Chains, etc... is now in his 30's. You will also notice that most classic rock stations have all but eliminated their 1960's catalog, as that audience has moved away from radio, or to Oldies formats. Forget trying to define classic rock, it boils down to what songs are testing well among the target demo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do find it a bit strange that a lot of mid 60s rock is getting phased out in the age bracket that I'm in. I think someone that is in the male 25-54 bracket that listens to classic rock would want to hear that music since we don't listen to the crap that MTV deems popular and "good".

It also makes me wonder if I'm gonna have to hear weezer and smash mouth on a classic rock station in 5-7 years becasue that is what my demographic "wants", cause that makes me kinda sad if you think about it

while I think that certain bands/songs will test better, i also think that someone who wants to listen to classic rock will have no problem listening to the music that is getting phased out right now by the radio stations
Old 10-14-2005, 08:32 PM

Well, without boring you with every detail, classic rock will never be the 80's and beyond. Certain old songs will continue to test well, certain new songs will as well, and will get sprinkled in. In 10+ years, you might hear Weezer on a classic rock station, but you'll still hear Hendrix.