Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Delighting in Misery

[ QUOTE ]
Well, next time maybe try the latter...you will come off as a much nicer person and actually feel good about yourself. People often would rather mock than try to help someone...too many years of Saturday Night Live and bad stand up comics who can only mock others to get a laugh. Also, you don't really know how someone will react - they may get defensive or hostile - but at least you can say you tried.

[/ QUOTE ]
Typically, I'd agree with you. But the kid was obviously full of himself and there was no way that he would take kindly to anything I said, even if I told him that the entire table was laughing at him. His opinion on the matter was obviously not changing. The collar thing, whatever...preppies will be preppies. That by itself doesn't bother me. The sunglasses at a $1/2 NL table, where entire fortunes of $100 are won and lost at the drop of a hat just makes me laugh. I'm still laughing about it, I don't know why.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:45 PM

That would of been hilarious to see, wish i could of been there. I would of gotten a banana thrown it at him and told him he looked like a monkey.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Typically, I'd agree with you. But the kid was obviously full of himself and there was no way that he would take kindly to anything I said, even if I told him that the entire table was laughing at him. His opinion on the matter was obviously not changing. The collar thing, whatever...preppies will be preppies. That by itself doesn't bother me. The sunglasses at a $1/2 NL table, where entire fortunes of $100 are won and lost at the drop of a hat just makes me laugh. I'm still laughing about it, I don't know why.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is seemingly lost on those who need to preach their morals in this thread. Some people who let their ego be their guide will do something stupid, and getting a good laugh out of the moment is a part of life.

I have done stupid things have had friends and stranges laughed at me for what I did. Did I think they were "Insecure loner[s] looking for friends who share the same affliction and want to bask in the embarrassment of others to reassure themselves of their "greatness" while only looking like even bigger jackass's then the "douchebags" they are berating." No. They were right, it was funny.

Life is funny. Things happen that are funny. Enjoy them.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:16 PM

If an old man misreads his hand and declares a flush, I do not delight in his misery.

If a quiet, polite middle aged woman misreads her hand and declares a flush, I do not delight in her misery.

If a humble newbie sits down and misreads his or her hand and declares a flush, I do not delight in his or her misery.

If a gregarious, good-naturedly trash talking man misreads his hand and declares a flush, I do not delight in his misery, though I may give him hell for it for a few minutes.

If a young, hat and glasses wearing, collar-popping, WPT wannabe who thinks he's god's gift to the poker world by his attitude or demeanor misreads his hand and declares a flush, I will attempt to laugh at him inside, but if I outright laugh directly at him, I won't feel bad.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Delighting in Misery" = Insecure loner looking for friends who share the same affliction and want to bask in the embarrassment of others to reassure themselves of their "greatness" while only looking like even bigger jackass's then the "douchebags" they are berating.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh??? I don't get this from this poster,,we just play too much poker so when we step down for fun we find it hilarious how some "first time in a card room" people present themselves,,,,,straight out of TV,,,,,,but we must be nice.gotta love the fish!!!!
Old 09-30-2005, 06:58 PM

Don't feel bad. That's awesome. I wish I could have been there I would have been right next to you laughing just as hard. [censored] that kid. Like another poster said, if it's an old man who misreads his hand, then I don't laugh. This guy's asking for it. He's looking for attention by popping that collar. Give it to him.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Coolie Points!

When I was in college (70's) we tagged people with "Coolie Points". Coolie Points were strictly demerit, there was no way to win them back -- but they didn't accumulate. They were also awarded arbitrarily. Coolie Points were given when you tried to do something "cool" that failed spectacularly.

One time, driving through the Chicago turnpike with a car full of friends, I rolled through the toll stop, threw the change at the basket -- and missed. I had to backup, get out of the car, and pick up the money (since we had already collected all of our change). The first guy to speak up awarded me 10,000 Coolie points for the blunder. By the I had found the coins and got through the toll, the total was over a million. It was a way for everyone present to acknowledge the idiocy of the mistake.

The correct response to the flush was, "2 million Coolie Points!" -- then let it go.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:54 PM

Word. We were all donks once. Doing things like that make guys like that not want to come dump their cash to you. Good work.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Word. We were all donks once. Doing things like that make guys like that not want to come dump their cash to you. Good work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Life is not all about money and +EV. What good is money if you can't enjoy a highly comedic scene. I see the point of not coaching a fish online by berating him for chasing his set of 2s on an three broadway board 4 handed, but this is entirely different.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:30 PM

I don't get it. The kid dresses differently than you want him to, and this makes you delight in making fun of him.

Do you also make fun of people with turbins? What about noserings or eyerings? What about someone who is goth? Gold chains? Some different ethnic group?

Perhaps he wanted to hide his neck pulse with the collar. And his pupil dilation and blink rate with the shades. So what? Just play your game, and let him play his game in peace.