Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Building a bankroll while you\'re young....

i don't think anyone has absolutely zero expenses, even if you have food and the roof over your head payed for their has to be something you spend money on, im still young and living at home while i finish my degree so i understand haveing limited expenses, but i like being able to buy things from time to time. What your proposing is working a 30-35 hour week that may or may not earn a pay check, now if your looking for a means to save some money and brain cells while u get through college spending that much time on a comp is probably a great idea. Maybe i just suk at time management, but i already find it hard to budget time between a girlfriend, a 13hour semester, and part time job, with the free time remaining i try to find better uses( maybe not better, but more enjoyable) for my time than building my bankroll. (quad tableing and playing by the book gets boring) Personally i don't want to look back and feel as though i wasted what will likely be some of my more enjoyable years. Your right it is easier with limited expenses and a lot of time, but i don't view college as being the best time to take a shot at going pro.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't it be easier for someone who has absolutely ZERO expenses and ALOT of time on their hands to become professional at poker at an early age so by the time they graduate they have the bankroll necessary to be playing high stakes?

All these articles and such I see about going pro seem to not even be related to someone young who is still in school with no expenses and that can actively balance their social life with just 5 hours a day of poker. I see alot of posts against going pro but what about for someone who is young with absolutely no expenses, don't they have a monster advantage at this point in their life to really build a bankroll to the point where they could play professionally later on? And don't give me all that jazz about playing poker ruining your college years.... everyone I know in college blows at least 5 hours a day doing something like playing a video game or sitting around bullsh*tting with friends, or um... "working" at their real job. Just seems to me that someone whose young can become pro alot easier than someone with expenses and children depending on them.. because if they go broke they are not in dire straits for that money.... Is this not the perfect time to try?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can somebody please explain to me what this bankroll stuff is?
Old 10-04-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe i just suk at time management

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-06-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I think I beliave so. I dropped my school not long ago and I'm living with my mother, in January I'll be 20. I start playing poker only 3 weeks ago and I've been practising for becoming better player 10-14 hours a day. I've been trying to search for work, but haven't got one.(Really hard here were even adults have a great unemployment rate, I live in northern Finland)
Well I screwed up my chances and lost my $84. My only mistake was the decision of changing game type, from fixed limit to no limit, which I just seem not to handle at all. When I get to collect my next starters by selling myself on the street (kidding, maybe) I'll be back stick playing to fixed limits. (I had a nice $200 before I changed to no limit and got beaten bad)
I have 3 months free time right now, before I'm going to army(exactly the same date as I'll be 20) so if I get $20 somewhere the time and the investement would be used well.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are practicing to be a better poker player for 14 hours per day, you are not looking for a job.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:53 AM

the answer is yes. start building.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: What you propose is impossible

you are right, with your schedule you CAN do pull off 3-5 hours a day of poker (on a side note, i would kill to have your schedule). what i am saying is not everyone has the amount of time you do, in fact im sure that the majority of the student posters here don't have a four day weekend.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:53 AM

I agree some what, playing poker is just as positoned socially as college in the set I am from really higher, and school is very boring and limited you can easily learn your self or over the Web any degree if you want but still most very learned things are studied in depth you could get a degree in poker as a self made major in some schools. Playing in Brunsons big games looks like the social limit better then what corporate. Besides doesn't the game of Poker play out better then the maybe cruel game of life? I play about 10 hrs a day no sweat and am learning the other hours, but I'm no reform student doing time for betting to much. You must be sober about the situation even so, the other big time players are not giving you anything and the curve to high stakes (over a 1000 blinds) is not like the lower it is smaller. I wouldn't take the invest stuff that is to much a big fear I would buy a place to live and just save it why quite? That story runs like fear to me, but he isn't talking the very highest players just some lucky hot hands now that needed all that incoherents to profit, the figures he shows are not likely of a very committed player All in all I would put my whole energy on what I really want rather then cover for the future
Old 10-25-2005, 01:56 AM

You must be kidding he means 50,000 not 200 I hope you leave your mother you sound ill.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:59 AM

2 hours a day at poker isn't enough to even make time Mn, were are you at most pro level cash games go on for 12 hours 2 hours is for kids in grade school
Old 10-25-2005, 02:17 AM

I well tell you all about it , number one making money is better then going to school you can learn all the humanites after most poker is work to a degree and a speculation so you have to have time and money to venture DA, play sit and gos on the net and make a monthly income then take time off and read up on other liberal studies or read a classic novel. If you are worried about the future buy gold and bury it with a ton of food but never claim 5 hours a day of poker is enough you can fold for that long. None of the greats of the past would quite why would you have a little drive first then sit down.