Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Building a bankroll while you\'re young....

I think it's a great idea, but are your parents paying for your school straight up? You aren't helping with the expenses at all?
If not, that's great for you, my parents would want me to help them out as much as possible. Keep building that bankroll [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 01:46 AM

Spend all the time you can with your friends. When you're out of school and never see some of these friends again, you will wish you spent more time with them. Keep playing, build a bankroll, that's great. But I think five hours a day is a little much. Of course maybe you don't have to work. Maybe you aren't involved in any sports or campus activities (where you also have a great time with friends and you can build your resume). Why even stay in school if you don't plan on making the most of it? I used to get up at 6 a.m. (because I was involved in ROTC), go to class, work, bullshit with friends, go out about five nights a week, and get to bed at any time between 12 and 3 a.m. I know that I couldn't have fit five hours into that day and made the best of it. There is plent of time for poker, but, as has been pointed out by others, this time will end and you will never have it again.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:19 AM

What you describe is very similar to a college student taking a coop job for experience. The student is working and earning money but he is not a professional.

That doesn't mean it isn't a good idea if done properly by the right person.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:35 PM

I'm in 3rd year at uni and have about 5 hours of classes a week. I live with a guy who works full time and probably make more playing poker through the week than he does at his job. Weekends and some weeknights I don't play because my time is spent doing other things and being hungover.

As long as you are sensible about how much you play at this point in time poker is an ideal part time 'job' for me. I can study while I play and don't have some [censored] with no qualifications telling me to answer a phone or get someone's order. Obviously, everything in moderation. but with some smart saving (my loan goes in a high interest savings account) I'm going to be one of the very few leaving uni without absolutely no debt (in fact firmly in the black) hopefully a good degreea and some [censored] good times aswell.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:34 PM

Umm five hours a night isn't much and you wont miss out on much. Even if you are out till 12-1 every night of the week.

When I was in college my days were out till 12-2AM, comp till 6 am then sleep till 11AM for classes? I got to schedule everyone of my classes and most didnt start until 1PM. You are in college you don't need to sleep forever each night. 4-6 hrs is all you need, you're young.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm five hours a night isn't much and you wont miss out on much. Even if you are out till 12-1 every night of the week.

When I was in college my days were out till 12-2AM, comp till 6 am then sleep till 11AM for classes? I got to schedule everyone of my classes and most didnt start until 1PM. You are in college you don't need to sleep forever each night. 4-6 hrs is all you need, you're young.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm... did you spend much time in your English classes?
Old 10-01-2005, 11:49 PM

Default What you propose is impossible

you forget that some people have crazy workloads like i do (~30 hour weeks), it always comes down to a decision between friends OR poker, never both. considering i am out of cash now, I have chosen poker since i refuse to add any more burden to my loving parents who are paying for tuition and rent.

if i cant feed myself, then there is some serious soul searching to do as to whether i should have left home or not.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Re: What you propose is impossible

if you are saying that if you have a 30 hour a week job then yeah it comes down to friends or poker.... but for some students, they don't have a 30 hr job and poker is their source of income. Hell you don't even have to play 5 hours a day... can just play 3 hours during the after noon or at night. If someone can't balance 3 hours into their day, they just need better organizational skills, IMHO. I have a tuesday/thursday schedule so I have a 4 day weekend built into my schedule... and on tuesdays and thursdays my classes still dont start until 11am. Typically during the weekdays I go to classes (tues/thurs) or hang out with friends, or get other stuff I need done like lifting weights or studying(m/w/f) during the day, usually get in around maybe 11pm, 12.. depends on what we're doing.. sometimes 9pm, who knows. Play poker until I go to sleep around 3-4am... on the weekends typically play a few hours during the day then go out to eat with friends and hang out at their house, go out and drink at night and come back wasted. I'm confused as to how people claim to not have 3-5 hours during a day to spend time on their own with a hobby... theres 24 hours in the day for crying out loud.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope .. didnt take any. I got a comp sci degree and my lowest mark was A-.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope .. didnt take any. I got a comp sci degree and my lowest mark was A-.

[/ QUOTE ]

In all the going pro threads i forgot to mention the advantage of not having to take notice of people who think speeling and puncuat,ion are of great importance.

chez