Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Re: How do you feel about people outright asking you for money?

What a great thread--First post from a rgp man tired of the crap

--1) How many of u who say you would help out family if you had 100 million would help out the same family if you make 25 k or 50 k? (I am not being self righteous, but my mom is disabled and lives alone and i help when i can with time and money.) If you Dont give it now i really dont think you will give it then.
2) Whoever said give rather than loan to the ones you love are right. Do or dont give it ito immediate family, but if you love them, dont loan itto them.
3) I know people like Greg's family who would be offended, and while i absolutely dont understand them, I do respect them. I just dont "GET" them. Prolly have hte higher moral ground though.
4) Lotsa money at once would absolutely kill alot of people. Don't believe? Google "lottery winner's stories" and read about the destruction in SOME of their lives. I would definately love to try, but money is a very very powerful thing.
5)The friends? Thats a tough one--it is hard to say no to someone u truly like, but how would you ever get away from feeling used? I would love to give my friends and family stuff, but the quickest way not to get it would be to try to greed it out of me.

6) I think that the diff is partly socioeconomic background too. My family of origin is poor white folk. I was the first in my family to graduate high school. then college, and soon the first to get my master's degree. ,My family of origin is very dysfuntional. While I would help many of them to varying degrees (especially mom) some people will never really get up and do anything with their life. Money wont solve that. I would however love to help some of the ones who have worked alltheir live sfor grunts wages (albeit becauwe they didnt make more of their lives). I would guess that many of the aforementioned parents on this thread would be insulted because they have pride in their own achievements and do not wqant them demeaned. Also, most probably are solid middle/middle and upper middle class.
These socioeconomic classes are worlds apart in worldview (of course) and also in values. Not better or worse, just different.

How is that for a ramble from a newb. I hear u guys are real tough on newbs here, but i can take it--lay it on me.
Peace.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Re: How do you feel about people outright asking you for money?

[ QUOTE ]
It is impossible to offend a fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

"You stupid [censored], how could you call with that?" usually does the trick.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.