Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Debate: Overweight people and airplanes

3 Questions, some stray off topic.

Should you force an overweight person to buy two or more seats on an airplane to accomodate abnormally large size, or do you allow them to squeeze into one seat and ruin 2-4 other peoples' flight?

When going on an airplane flight are you buying space or a seat for yourself, regardless of how much space "yourself" occupies?

Would you consider policy forcing some to buy multiple tickets a form of discrimination? (for that matter, do you consider being highly obese a legitimate disability like paraplegia, blindness, mental retardation, etc)
Old 08-12-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Debate: Overweight people and airplanes

let the airlines set the policy. I see the need for government intervention to prevent unfair discrimination in some cases, but this isn't one of them. if airlines start losing money for having an "anti-fat" stigma they'll change their policy.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Should you force an overweight person to buy two or more seats on an airplane to accomodate abnormally large size, or do you allow them to squeeze into one seat and ruin 2-4 other peoples' flight?

[/ QUOTE ]
The first option. Fat also cost more in fuel because of the extra weight.

[ QUOTE ]
When going on an airplane flight are you buying space or a seat for yourself, regardless of how much space "yourself" occupies?

[/ QUOTE ]
A seat for yourself.

[ QUOTE ]
Would you consider policy forcing some to buy multiple tickets a form of discrimination?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. The issue is just like luggage. If you go far beyond the definition of standard, you should pay more to compensate for it.

[ QUOTE ]
(for that matter, do you consider being highly obese a legitimate disability like paraplegia, blindness, mental retardation, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]
No I do not. It is a medical condition, but one that is caused solely by lack of willpower. No different to heroin addiction.

I hate fat people. They may as well walk around with an L on their forehead. Weight loss/weight gain is not rocket science. If you put more in your mouth than your daily energy needs, you gain weight. Less, you lose weight.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Force them to buy an extra seat if they are that overweight.(You must considering their size and the infringement on the others passangers space.)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are buying the space of 1 seat, not 1.5.

The average person is 1, some catwalk models are .5, most Americans who enjoy restaurants with drive-thru's are 1.5+ ... see the math? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Would you consider policy forcing some to buy multiple tickets a form of discrimination? (for that matter, do you consider being highly obese a legitimate disability like paraplegia, blindness, mental retardation, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

If a man had a gigantic penis and wanted to sleep with a prositute but was opposed to "larger" condoms because he felt he should be entitled to wear the "normal" ones like everyone else, but there was a great chance the normal would split, do you think its fair the prostitute take the risk because of the way he "feels"? (this would never happen unless the guy was seriously self-conscious but you get the drift)

Being overweight is not fun, I been there, and am slowly on my way back with each beer I drink. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But it's usually self-inflicted which is why the battle lines are drawn for sympathy/scorn.

Mr Plus-size has to make a decision regarding his weight, and all ways he pays:

1) Buy a Gym Membership.
2) Buy an extra seat on the plane.
3) Buy the services of a plastic surgeon and get liposuction.

It is up to him to decide which was he wishes to live his life, but complaining about discrimination over buying an extra seat is not ok IMHO. It is a situation nobody wants (nor does the ticket counter like asking people to do) but everybody has to be considered in this equasion.

Cheers,
SDM
Old 08-13-2005, 12:37 AM

What about people who are not overweight, but just huge compared to the average human. Examples could be Andre the Giant, Shaq, some of the World's Strongest Men competitors, NFL football players like Ogden. Should these people then be put in a category along with the people who are obese, and be charged for an extra seat (assuming they require one like a obese person)?

I do not think it is fair to an average sized passenger to have to sit next to someone who is obese out of a pure lazy lifestyle, but if people who are naturally large would be negatively effected I would rather everyone be charged for only one seat.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mr Plus-size has to make a decision regarding his weight, and all ways he pays:

1) Buy a Gym Membership.
2) Buy an extra seat on the plane.
3) Buy the services of a plastic surgeon and get liposuction.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is wrong.

4) Eat less (saves money)
5) Go for walks, do pushups, situps, free weights exercises (free!)
6) Go on reality TV and win Fat Camp!
Old 08-13-2005, 04:35 AM

Im a distance runner who weighs 135 lbs and is 5'10" so maybe I'm biased...
but they should pay for more if they take up more than one seat.

You are paying for one seat

i dont think its discrimination at all.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:39 PM

1) Yes
2) Space
3) Not discrimination. The customers size has direct relevance to the service provided. Would you ask UPS to ship all packages for the same cost, independant of size or weight?

As a fat guy, I was buying two seats before there were such policies. More comfortable for me, and no dirty looks. The biggest problem was trying to make a reservation online.
And southwest was so much cheaper, that I could get 2 seats for less money. And if the flight wasn't full, they would refund one of the seats. Works out for everyone.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:50 PM

Buy a first class ticket.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It is a medical condition, but one that is caused solely by lack of willpower. No different to heroin addiction.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not true. In some cases (although not the majority) obeisity is caused from genetics or disease.