Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Pool players, learning to play to win a bet

I really suck at pool and do not enjoy it. . . . . .

Sounds like you are dead duck based on this statement, but MHarris's suggestions are the way to go. . . what is the bet. You will get more meaningful or realistic answers if you tell us. . .
Old 06-17-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, if 9 ball is the game, pay off the bet now. You would need several hours of practice a day to go from "I suck at pool" to being able beat a decent player at a race to 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. With practice, quality outweighs quantity. If he develops a decent skill set, has a good break, has a decent knowledge of the game, and doesn't fall victim to pool's version of Fancy Play Syndrome, he has a good chance of winning this bet. Also, most players that are described as "good" by a novice aren't really very good, with a few exceptions here and there.

BTW, where in Jersey are you paying only $4/hr for pool time?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, where in Jersey are you paying only $4/hr for pool time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to get a practice rate from a membership at Comet Billiards in Parsippany. I haven't played there for quite a while. It looks like they don't offer it anymore and the hourly is up to $5.50. Still a good rate to play on well maintained Gold Crowns with Simonis cloth.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:43 PM

I know Bert, he used to live near me here in chicago burbs...hes a real loud mouth, no wonder he got his ass kicked those many years ago for hustling.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:44 PM

Pay the guy of your gonna have to play half the bet..then he dumps to you. Thats the only shot you have to win. i have been playing for 15 years, and can still only run a few racks in a row..good luck.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is important, you want to play by yourself as much as possible. Rack balls and hit them

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly are we talking about here?
Old 06-17-2005, 04:38 PM

I've played at Comet a few times. Really nice room, and I love that there's plenty of room between tables.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:11 PM

Default More info

The bet is about $200 plus some odd stuff. It is more of a competitive thing than about the money. I suspect part of the bet also is because my friends simply want me to learn the game to play in their league if needed and some kind of bet would be the only way.

The origin of the bet started when I stated a good pool(not pro) player didn't require any special sort of god-given talent, I thought almost anyone could study and be just as good as some pretty good players (not professionals). I compared it to poker and said if I took the same approach to pool as I did for poker (lots of practice/study/thought) I bet I could be pretty successful as well.

Anyways I want to win the bet not so much for the money but to say I could do it.

We are playing 8 ball on those smallish tables you find in bars (coin operated) because that is what my friends play on in their pool league. My friend also just purchased one of these tables and I can practice on it almost any time I want.

I have a few friends willing to coach me for a bit so I will take them up on their offer as well.

I appreciate all of the advice given in this thread.

Thanks.

PS. Had my first short day of practice today. A friend just showed me some pointers and set me up to shoot 1/4 and 1/2 table length straight and angle shots for a few hours. I never enjoyed the game before but now that I see it takes quite some skill to it I think I will enjoy it more (I like competitive games).

Old 06-17-2005, 11:48 PM

Default Re: More info

Pool and poker aren't all that similar in my opinion. Poker requires no physical skill. Pool requires knowledge, but it also requires that you execute a precise stroke. It looks a lot easier than it is.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:55 PM

you should have made the Amarillo Slim stipulation... you get to choose the cues.... and then practice playing pool with a broom and bring two of them to the game six months from now....

cubs