Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 06-17-2005, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Pool players, learning to play to win a bet

[ QUOTE ]
the pockets in your local club are > than those used in pro circuit

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know this, and it depends what you mean by "regular", but you certainly have to be incredibly good, yeah.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you are fooked.

My advice, lots of practice, and hope you are some sort of naturally gifted pool freak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. Lots of practice is the only answer. Six months is plenty of time to become reasonably decent if you're in a position to be able to put in a lot of hours on a table.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:56 AM

If this is a significant bet and you are serious about winning, I'd start here:

Billiards School

Also, I've never taken lessons, but I've heard that they'll go a long way to improve your game (much like golf or tennis). Ask around at your local pool hall.

That said, all of the above will be useless without practice, practice, practice.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the pockets in your local club are > than those used in pro circuit

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know this, and it depends what you mean by "regular", but you certainly have to be incredibly good, yeah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pockets are definitelky tighter on TV tables. I've played on a Brunswick Gold Crown that was used for one of these tournies and the pockets were probably 15% narrower than the ones in my regular hall.

"Cheating the pocket" doesn't work so well.

Orange
Old 06-17-2005, 10:21 AM

You're not getting any spot? This should have been part of the bet to begin with. If he's been playing for years, then an even race to 7 will still favor him.

Any chance you can get him to play one-pocket? You could learn enough of the strategy and moves there in 6 months to really f up his game. I can beat a friend of mine getting only a ball in that game, whereas i'd need the 7,8 and probably breaks in 9-ball to even stay close.

easypooltutor is good, azbilliards has some good stuff too. how much is this bet for? toss us some more details...
Old 06-17-2005, 10:56 AM

Most of the others have it right in a sense....practice is the mother of great pool. I played in 3 US Opens, and on my way up, I found some great resources that helped me a lot.

1. Instructors. If your mechanics are bad, and they most likely are, this is the place to start. Before you start practicing in earnest, you'll need to make sure your stance/alignment and stroke are pretty much clean. A decent instructor shouldn't run more than $30/hr for your purposes.

2. Bert Kinister DVD's. I used these practice drills when I was building my game. Practicing a few hours a day, my game jumped through the roof in a couple of months. The very first one is great and it helps you understand exactly how a lot of great players break down the game shot by shot. His site is www.bertkinister.com. If you want recommendations for which DVD's to get, PM me.

3. Find a good sparring partner. While you're honing your skills, you'll need to test yourself, preferably against a quality player. Try to find a good player who will play you races to 7 or 9 for $10. Next to practice is experience.

4. Accu-stats tapes. All matches from pro tourneys. You'll learn a lot just by listening to the commentary, but there are also a lot of great defensive tactics to be learned from the play in these matches, among other things. If you want some recommendations, PM me.

5. Get yourself a decent playing cue. Or borrow one. Joss makes a good cue for a reasonable price. I'd also look into finding something like a used Predator sneaky pete.

6. Practice some more.

Mike
Old 06-17-2005, 11:12 AM

What was it? Any joke involving him has to be funny in one way or another.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:27 AM

Also, the Billiardsdigest.com and AZbilliards.com forums are pretty good.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:36 AM

I took lessons: 130ish for 5 hours, improved my stance and game imeasureably. If you can get lessons do it, then practice everything you have learned a lot.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wish ed miller wrote pool books.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is just as good maybe better.

Byrne's Complete Book of Pool Shots by Robert Byrne

[/ QUOTE ]

Good suggestion, but I'd start with Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards instead. Better info for the beginner.

However, if 9 ball is the game, pay off the bet now. You would need several hours of practice a day to go from "I suck at pool" to being able beat a decent player at a race to 7.

$150.00 for a decent cue + $20.00 for the book + (180 days x 3 hrs. x $4.00/hr. table time) = $2330.00.