Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Pool players, learning to play to win a bet

I really suck at pool and do not enjoy it yet but some of my friends are really into it. In order to win a bet I need to beat one of the better players in a race to 7, I have 6 months to train.

Anyone recommendations on where to get started? Any good forums/books for beginners? I found a nice site called http://www.easypooltutor.com/articles.html and it seems pretty decent so far.

Any things to concentrate on?

My opponent is quite good, in 6 months I don't think I can beat him in skill but I'm thinking there must be some strategy I can employ to play defensive or something...I really have no clue at this point.

Any tips would be great, thanks!

I wish ed miller wrote pool books.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Pool players, learning to play to win a bet

you are fooked.

My advice, lots of practice, and hope you are some sort of naturally gifted pool freak.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:03 AM

I may be able to get some "rules" or something changed in my favour as well.

Not sure what exactly yet but offer any suggestions that might lower my opponents edge. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:16 AM

I don't know about learning pool from a book or website... it's a physical skill best learned through focused practice.

Find a pool hall you're comfortable with (one with hourly tables, not quarter fed) and go there regularly by yourself. This is important, you want to play by yourself as much as possible. Rack balls and hit them. Practice breaks, practice straight-on shots, practice bank shots. just practice!

As you get better, begin to push yourself, break a rack and just focus on the toughest shots to make. Pay no attention to stripes or solids or the 8-ball, just find the toughest shot on the felt and sink it. Then do it again.

Pool is not a difficult game, but it does reguire discipline an lots of practice. Forget about the books and pick up a que!

The only technique-advice I have is to get way down low and look down the length of your cue find the spot on the OBJECT ball (not the cue ball) that makes a direct line to the pocket and make sure the cue ball hits that spot precisely. Take a moment and line your cue stick with that spot on the object ball, really fixate on that specific spot; then back away never taking your eyes off that spot and line the cue stick up so it makes a direct line through the cue ball directly to that spot on the object ball. Make a nice even stroke (takes lots of practice) and make the cue and object balls connect.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:20 AM

What game will you play?

8-ball? 9-ball? Snooker?

If you're looking to win on strategy alone, you're sunk. Practice on the motor skills first (six months of dedicated study is enough) and then worry about the strategy.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish ed miller wrote pool books.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is just as good maybe better.

Byrne's Complete Book of Pool Shots by Robert Byrne

What size table will you play on and the type of game is very important to your chances.

6X12 snooker just give up now

4X8 or even smaller if you can get them to agree 8 or 9 ball and I like your chances if you are smarter than them and willing to practice and study strategy.

Don't practice with them or if you do don't play well until the money game. Go to a pool hall and get some lessons also. This is doable but you will know if this is your game or not after a month or so if you su[/b]ck after a month of trying find a way to get out of the bet.

I play on a pool team with a guy with one arm and he is in a wheelchair. He is in the top 20 players in a league of over 1000 players. He tries hard and that’s what matters, and he is smart.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:46 AM

Byrne's good.

Drinking beers around my parents' table back in high school, we used to have a joke about him but you'd really have to be there to think it was even worth telling.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:16 AM

Which game is it?

I play a lot of 8-ball and, depending on the rules you use, tactics can play a major part. In the game I play it is possible to outplay a good cueist by using correct, fairly negative, tactics. I can beat guys who make regular centuries at snooker this way.

If you play 9-ball on American style tables, then I think you are really up against it. I struggle at that game and I've made a 90 break at snooker.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can beat guys who make regular centuries at snooker this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

So world-class players?
Old 06-17-2005, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can beat guys who make regular centuries at snooker this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

So world-class players?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think you have to be WC to make centuries in snooker (the pockets in your local club are > than those used in pro circuit), but certainly you have to be damn damn good.