Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 07:52 PM

Default More reading

Mistakes

It's good to cold-call TT when you have players who will call 3 bets with A9o behind you and an UTG who will raise-fold preflop.

It's also good to check to offer a free card when you've 3-bet preflop because betting gives good enough odds for villain to call with his 3-outer.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Re: More reading

[ QUOTE ]
Mistakes

It's good to cold-call TT when you have players who will call 3 bets with A9o behind you and an UTG who will raise-fold preflop.

It's also good to check to offer a free card when you've 3-bet preflop because betting gives good enough odds for villain to call with his 3-outer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Thats some bad bad advice in that article.

"If one 3 bets before the flop they should recognize that very few hands will fold for one bet on the flop so a check may very well be in order. When you check on the flop you cut the drawer’s odds in half with the double bet on the turn."

So in the article, the guy with A9o is going to call down whether he is a dog or not. So instead of betting the flop, because "he has odds to call with his dog hand", you check, thereby giving him Infinite odds. So u are letting him draw cheap and making it okay for him to draw with anything...because u want to make him an even bigger dog on the turn that he already is...and he called the 1st scenario anyway being an underdog.

Man, that sure makes alot of sense. Actually that is an amazing load of crap...I can only hope many other players out there read that article and follow its advice. That would be sweet.

No wonder the site is called parttimepoker.com
Old 05-25-2005, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mistakes

[/ QUOTE ]

I also like how the article conviently ignores UTG hand in the whole process of cold calling and just deals with the the TT and A9o once they both cold called the UTG raise. (And if anyone could let me know a person who would raise with a hand UTG and fold to a 3 bet I'd appreciate it)
Old 05-25-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Should You Raise With Big Hands From the Blinds in Limit Poker?

[ QUOTE ]
All I think about with hands like TT+, KQs+ and ATs+ from the blinds is how much money I'm gonna jack from all the pussies who limped with lame ass hands. Drink some testosterone and hit the raise button.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

A better question is "Should you raise with strong-but-not-overwhelming hands from the blinds, such as KQo or 88". Not raising AA from the blinds should only happen because of a cap on your right.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:40 AM

That's horrible advice - I can sort of see the rationale, because you'll have a job driving out this many players now the pot's big, but you don't just raise AA to limit the field, it's just as important to exploit your +EV - it's lame to do anything else.

I'd maybe call with AAs if there's only 1 caller and the BB left - unless one or the other are maniacs. Might as well see the flop and try and get a little more... - I'd even check-call to the turn with a rainbow flop in this situation to try and get them to the big bets... and hope they hit a pair they like...

Otherwise its always a raise.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:40 AM

Doesn't this author know about God's habit of killing puppies and kittens when we don't raise these hands??? That guy must hate money AND cute animals! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2005, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mistakes

[/ QUOTE ]

this article is result oriented. your "hero" will lose more often calling with A9o on the prayer that a)an A hits and he wins b)that the "friend" doesn't have a bigger A. Hero will win more than his share with TT. maybe someone who knows pokserstove could work something up to prove this better...

i don't quite know what the author is talking about referencing TOP Theorem and trying to relate it to this hand. are they trying to say that TT should play it differently if he saw "hero" holding A9o? foolishness...then again, i hope a lot of people read his article and play A9o against my TT..BRING IT!