Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 05-11-2005, 05:56 PM

Default How\'s my line here?

Pretty boring hand from the beginning of a 27 player tournament.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

Hero (t1500)
Button (t1340)
SB (t1720)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1480)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1460)
MP3 (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t50, BB calls t40.

Flop: (t180) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t80</font>, SB calls t80, BB folds.

I bet the flop hoping to either take it down right here or get a free card on the turn.

Turn: (t340) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Should I bet here? I'm putting the SB on a low pocket pair (not a set obviosuly),or a hand with two face cards or Ax, since he called a preflop raise.

River: (t340) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

I bet t200 on the river as a value bet. Is this too much?

Final Pot: t340
Old 05-11-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: How\'s my line here?

ok. I like PF. On the flop, I like a little stronger continuation bet - around 2/3 of the pot. Tell them that you are serious about the hand.

On the turn Even though you have outs galore now - and a check to see if you catch is alright, I like another continuation bet. Again, I throw in btwn 1/2-2/3 the pot. Let them know that the second or third button they flopped probably isn't good AND build a little pot for you to take down on the river with either a major bluff or by hitting one of your outs.

On the river, I like a slightly smaller bet. My definition of a value bet is a bet so small, they'd be stupid NOT to call. A big bet like this is representing a big diamond, and SHOULD only be called by big diamonds. Throw in 75 chips, you know, a half-hearted attempt to steal the pot kind of bet. This he'll call with ANY diamond, may call with his pair, or if he has a big diamond, he may get the idea to raise.

Anyway, that's how I play it.

CSC
Old 05-11-2005, 06:55 PM

Good point abt the river bet. If he's playing some middle pair, you want him to call. And in the unlikely but non-zero possibility that he's got the Kd somewhere in his hand (maybe AK to start), you want to entice him into making a catastrophic raise.

Betting 50, 75, 80 or 100 improves the chances of a call -- and more important, opens the door for a possible raise by him and a jumbo pot. With you totally in command of the hand now, give him a multi-option decision to make. He might get it wrong.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:35 PM

i'd bet 130 on the flop, but i like the turn check. villain probably has either a 9 or a made flush, and i want to see another card. if he puts in a big c/r, you're gonna vomit a little. if you make a pair, call the river or make a moderate bet.

on the river, i bet slightly less. you don't want a hand like 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] to find a fold. i'd abandon hope of getting called by 1 pair and try to make sure you get a call from a weak diamond.