Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Pocket Deuces in the Small Blind: 20-40 at the Bike

Full 20-40 game at the Bike. BB is a loose aggressive player going way to far with every hand he plays, MP is almost as bad, button is tight and agressive.

I have 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the SB. MP calls PF, folded to the button who raises, I call, BB makes it three bets, MP calls, the button caps and we all call. 16 bets and four of us see the flop of:

8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, BB bets, MP calls, button folds so it's 18 bets in the pot, and I call. The rest is not as interesting, but the way it went was the Turn was a:

[8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, BB bets, MP calls, I raise, BB 3-bets, MP folds, I call. River is a:

[8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, BB bets, I call. The BB had nothing and didn't show, so I won the pot. The hand generated plenty of grunts and moans from the players (and others), for several different reasons, most pointedly regarding my call on the flop with the deuces.

I'd appreciate any comments on the hand.

Thanks

Sparks
Old 03-26-2005, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Pocket Deuces in the Small Blind: 20-40 at the Bike

Since you have the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I think the flop call is ok b/c you'll get many bets if you hit your miracle. I would 4-bet the turn...he could have AA, AK, KJs, etc. On the river, it doesn't really matter...check-call, bet-call, whatever. Check may be safer b/c he'll bet with AK, KJ if you check and you avoid being raised by AA, KK, JJ, 88, Q10s, etc. But I'd DEFINITELY 4-bet the turn.

But why show the hand at all? You called a bet on the end, entitling you to see the bettor's cards. He didn't show, so neither should you...hold on to your cards, get the money and push them in face down.

Jeff
Old 03-26-2005, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Full 20-40 game at the Bike. BB is a loose aggressive player going way to far with every hand he plays, MP is almost as bad, button is tight and agressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand was from last Saturday's "Live at Bike" web cast and I was the tight-aggressive button. Sparks PM'd me regarding this hand and I was able to retrieve it from the "Live at Bike" archives.

[ QUOTE ]
I have 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the SB. MP calls PF, folded to the button who raises, I call, BB makes it three bets, MP calls, the button caps and we all call. 16 bets and four of us see the flop of:

8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, BB bets, MP calls, button folds so it's 18 bets in the pot, and I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a bigger pair (red nines). Your flop call with a smaller pair is clearly correct while I believe my fold is also correct. Your call closed the action and you were getting 18 to 1 on a 22.5 to 1 shot. With the hyper-aggressive seat four and a calling station in seat six, you know if you spike a turn set the action will be led into you. You have sufficient implied odds with these opponents and setup.

I folded 9h 9d for four reasons (although it was close). First, I was relatively sure I was already against a better pair with two overcards on board and a bet and a call before the action got to me. Second, my call doesn't close the action. Third, I don't have the nine of clubs which means half the time when I spike a turn set there will also be three clubs on board (meaning I can run into a flush and if not would have to survive the river). Fourth, a nine puts a very coordinated board out there, which means I may run into a straight or I need to survive a possible straight making river card.

The bottom line is that your small pair with the club is much stronger than my medium pair without a club in terms of taking one off.

BTW, your pre-flop call of at least 1.5 small bets was shaky with only three opponents and the fact you shoud be able to forsee that a higher than normal percentage of the hands would be capped or three-bet because of the super aggro BB.

My only comment regarding the rest of the hand is that you might put in another raise on the turn.

Rick

PS Sorry about the sloppy writing but I'm visiting family back East, am not used to this keyboard and was out drinking tonight with my brother [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 03-26-2005, 05:55 AM

NH. Hey sparks, you heading back this saturday? i might be there.

And don't get tricky with me! (cause I don't fold)
Old 03-26-2005, 04:06 PM

Geormiet,
Yeah, I think I'll head out there tonight. I'll look for you.

The reason I posted this hand was because the both commentators on the broadcast assailed me for my play. While I know the PF call of Rick's raise was marginal (I think it was okay because of the other players who were in) I know my flop call was in fact correct. They said "they hated it." I even said right after the hand which can be heard on the replay "I had 18 bets in the pot, I can draw to a two-outer." In fact, it's a pretty basic call actually.

See you tonight. I'll be the one folding PF. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sparks
Old 03-26-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But why show the hand at all? You called a bet on the end, entitling you to see the bettor's cards. He didn't show, so neither should you...hold on to your cards, get the money and push them in face down.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't show. The whole table then badgered me into saying what I had, which I did. Then came the grunts, followed by my explanation of the pot odds I had for the flop call. Then I felt like a dork for talking about pot odds during a poker game.

Then I had a cocktail.

Sparks
Old 03-26-2005, 04:27 PM

Why no checkraise on the river?? If the LAGgy button has an overset, then good for him. I assume he would have called the river checkraise with any two pair hand, or possibly any A/K.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why no checkraise on the river?? If the LAGgy button has an overset, then good for him.

[/ QUOTE ]
He 3-bet it PF. I have to respect the possibility of a set. The river puts a straight out there. Now, as it turns out, he had 9-3 off, so I guess you're right.

Sparks
Old 03-27-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I felt like a dork for talking about pot odds during a poker game.

Then I had a cocktail. - Sparks

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea in that game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

~ Rick