Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 08-27-2004, 05:55 AM

Default Re: 5/10 destroyed me

El Diablo Senor,

May I have a cash advance off your credit card so I can crush the idiots in my game. I am also on a bad streak run. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2004, 08:24 AM

You played in a game, one of the toughest around online, where your entire bankroll amounted to less than one full capped buy-in. I mean, c'mon. You should be playing somewhere between 1/20 and 1/10 of these stakes.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:34 AM

$800 bankroll a teeeeeny weeeeeny little bit too small for NL 5/10?!?!
Old 08-27-2004, 09:52 AM

I would say his skill level is obviously a teeny-weeny bit too small for this table. That's the problem, not his bankroll.

If his $/hr is -500 (which it probably is), it doesn't matter if he has 100k to play this game, he will go broke fast.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:03 PM

I think this post is in the wrong place. Seems like everyone is saying how ridiculous it is to be in a 5/10 NL with $800. He never said it was NL, more likely it's a lost limit post.

Justin A
Old 08-27-2004, 03:27 PM

Even in a limit 5/10 game, an $800 bankroll is not near enough (fine for a session, but not as a bankroll).
Old 08-27-2004, 03:39 PM

I'm assuming you were indeed referring to the stars 5/10 NL game, not limit. I'll try to state the obvious without being unduly patronizing.

#1. Way, way too small a bankroll for this game. You don't even have 1 maximum buyin, you need 20 at a minimum, closer to 50 since it's a step up in level. Even if your play was perfect a non exceptional run of bad luck could wipe out your bankroll with ease.

#2. No limit is a far different and many (including myself) think more complex game than limit. The fact that you only mention pot odds, not implied odds, aggression, position, reads or any other aspect of advanced no limit play leads me to believe that you have been successful at lower level NL games merely by being tight preflop in the lower level No Limit games. This will not work against the more advanced players you will find in higher level No Limit games as they will read your play like a book and you won't get action on your hands after the flop unless you are beat and they are probably bluffing you off of hands repeatedly using position and aggression.

#3. You only mention action preflop which is again a sign of an inexperienced player. NL games with deep stacks relative to the blinds put a premium on play after the flop, not just Poker by Sklansky preflop hand selection. If you want to read a book on the subject try Ciaffone & Reuben. If you've been watching poker on TV, final table tournament play is a terrible primer for a cash game with the exception of Fox's Poker at the Plaza which showed a tournament of mostly top pros with a very, very gradual rate of blind increase which limited the 'allinitis' so common in the WPT shows and Lederer's commentary wasn't dumbed down.

#4. Don't move up more than 1 level at a time and don't move up at all until you are just killing the level you are currently playing at. The required difference in strategy and level of opponents skill increase is far too great to go up more than 1 at a time.

KillerWombat
Old 08-27-2004, 03:42 PM

This's the same guy?

Hmmmm, this's too funny.

Cheers,

Guts
Old 08-27-2004, 05:11 PM

I'll say it very simply:

DON'T PLAY THE 5/10 GAME TITHEAD!

You owe me $800 for the next time you think about it.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:37 AM

If $800 was your bankroll, you were in way over your head .

Also, why is this post in this forum, that is not mid stakes....

If this was NL, yeah $800 is still a pittance...

Now it's time to start low again...

Better luck next time... that's poker, she's a nasty mistress at times!

>TW<