Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2004, 09:44 PM

Default Matusow and the K10

At that flop, 77T with 2 hearts, I could have sworn he was gonna push...Phillips was playing tight, and I don't think you can put him on a 7 and if he was on the flush draw he wasn't gonna risk all his chips on the draw there I wouldn't think.

Anyone else think the same thing or am I way out of league on this?
Old 07-13-2004, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Matusow and the K10

I was surprised when Phillips said he wasn't going to call, but I didn't think Mike's bet/play was out of line, he had no reason to put Paul on a 7, AK or bigger PP than tens. Just my .02 worth.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:23 PM

I agree but I think he could have him on 2 hearts easily. At least thats what I would be thinking.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:37 PM

plus with Paul going all-in, i would have thought he was bluffing at the pot and called his bluff with top pair
Old 07-14-2004, 12:00 AM

Paul didnt go allin, he bet then told Mike he had to call Mike's allin.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:55 AM

that was just a horrible all-in by matusow. he had to put phillips on a draw at least. he called after the flop bet by matusow and led out with a decent bet after the turn. when another flush card hit the turn it was just a bad play to go all in in that spot.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:29 AM

I'm sure I'll get some heat for this but I don't think I've seen Matusow play well in any televised poker event. At the Sands he played poorly but got lucky quads 55 against KK. Some of the regulars in the High stakes seem much better than him and he seems to blow up/gamble against a bigger stack too often.

Of all the players I saw I think the winner just let other players pick each other apart, move up in pay, played solid cards most all the time, and make a good value bet against Negreanu. I didn't watch the whole thing but I didn't see him make any real mistake. I know a guy like that doesn't garner a lot a respect because he didn't pull any hall of fame bluffs but I think his final table was the best I've seen yet.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:28 AM

I think it's ok that he didn't push on the flop.

What's important is that he didn't seem to have any sort of plan. If you're not going to push, you have to make a decision about the variety of hands the opponent might hold, and then decide what you'll do dependent upon what hits and what action they take on the turn.

Matusow made exactly the wrong play. Failing to push on the flop, he obviously has less committed with his fairly marginal holding. A scare card comes. He gets bet into.

And the situation that he created involves folding here, as unbelievable as that sounds.

Blank on the turn, different story.