Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 09:59 AM

Default Re: What do you do when you hit a losing streak?

I play different games for a while. I had a bad session on tuesday, not in the money sense but in the bad playing sense. I missed several opportunities to bluff, and misplayed QQ/AK preflop and had to fold the flop. to me, the most frustrating thing is making mistakes that you should not be making. it makes you question everything you think you know about the game.

--turnipmonster
Old 08-20-2004, 10:00 AM

No offence but you should post these questions in a different forum. This is the Mid/High Stakes PL/NL forum and you're asking about what to do with a $400 bankroll and beginner type questions like this.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No offence but you should post these questions in a different forum. This is the Mid/High Stakes PL/NL forum and you're asking about what to do with a $400 bankroll and beginner type questions like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish people would look for good things to reply rather than taking their time to tell you how you wasted theirs. This a fine spot for this cause he wants the opions of those that play the same games. It seems you guys can't wait to make the "wrong forum" post; where do I get my prize?
Old 08-21-2004, 04:56 AM

point well made, 400 or 40,000, what's the difference. You hit a run of bad cards = you hit a run of bad cards, hence your bankroll begins to shrink no matter how big or how small it is.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:01 AM

This is probably one of the most sound advice I heard. Almost noone can play perfect after taking bad beat after bad beat because otherwise we'd have to be a computer. We might unconsciously even change our strategy without ever realizing it, or take more gambles, or underestimate our opponents, or over value the cards. Point is taking a break is a good advice. Taking a break won't change the randomness of the cards, but it will help gain back the focus and control that we tend to lose after a string of bad beats.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Recently i have been posting about what games to play with my bankroll. SInce then i have been on a massive losing streak i have had everything beaten and more. Last night on planet i had the AK flush beaten by a straight flush. I had today in omaha HI 4 deuces beaten by 4 snowmen. Anyway i am just curious what you do when u hit a slump. I am unsure whether to keep playing or give up for a couple of days?

[/ QUOTE ]
if i am just losing, getting bad cards i keep playing.

if i am playing poorly, than i slow down, read some 2+2, reread my books and notes, and make adjustments to my pysche.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:11 PM

When I'm in a losing streak, I think about two things:

* I play to make the best decisions possivble, not to make money each time I sit down to play.

* A worse player would have lost even more.

If you're tilting, you stop playing. If not, by all means try to ride the storm out. If you have to ask yourself what to do, you should probably take a break and reconsider your situation.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:02 PM

A final thing that helps is rather playing or reading (or, rather on top of that), sit in and watch a table, especially where you know some of the players (a few days ago, I was watching DOTTT tearing up 5/10 with 12K+ behind [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). After watching some players that you know are good and analyzing their play, it might put you back in the mindset to play solid poker again.

Kirk R.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:29 PM

problem with this advice is that you don't realize when u are on a tilt....it might not be that obvious or u just don't bother to see the evident. Also depends on whether you would lose less money in a particular situation than a bad player. Bad players often push you with a flush draw and often go all in, not having to make any decisions. So opponents often fold in response or 35% they get outdrawn. Where as a good player might play it conservatively because he's better at putting opponents on hands and can make a tough fold if the flush hits and he's certain that's what opponent has. However, it depends how often players fold to the bad player when he goes all in on a flush draw, because he may be winning more that way if he get people to fold a high % of the time for an example.