Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2004, 02:59 AM

Default \"Pistol Opera\" by Seijun Suzuki DVD Movie Review

I've watched this film three times so far and still don't understand it. Maybe, that's the intention of it's creator. Anyway, if you want to watch a film that uses spectacular cinematography I highly recommend this for repeated viewing.

So what's this film about? The back cover of the DVD box says: Story of a lady killer called "Stray Cat". Stray Cat is number three. She wants to be number one. Pistol Opera is an extreme tale of a woman assassin's surreal rise up through the ranks in the criminal underworld.

The plot and cinematography are both surreal. This is a Japanese film made in 2001. I believe Cyrus or John Cole would like viewing this film.

I can't stop watching it. Go see it.

Good Luck

Mark
Old 01-13-2004, 11:15 AM

Default Re: \"Pistol Opera\" by Seijun Suzuki DVD Movie Review

I had the chance to see this in one of the theaters here in Cleveland not too long ago. I loved it and bought the DVD shortly after. I've watched the DVD a few times since. I have to say that I don't really "get" any of it either but that seems to be a common theme when I watch Seijin Suzuki films. I keep wondering if there are things of cultural significance I'm missing out on here. I keep hearing this labled as a remake of Branded to Kill. Pistol Opera featured less action and seemed to have more of a meditative quality to it, there is also some stuff that will have you laughing big time. I really enjoyed watching this and recommend it as well.....

Allan
Old 01-14-2004, 02:37 AM

Allen,

I have the Branded To Kill movie which I think is excellent, but does really have more of a plot. Pistol Opera appears to almost have a plot. It's filled with lots of humor. For example, when No.1 Hundred Eyes assassinates No.2 Useless Man. Useless Man dies with a smile on his face. That's Hundred Eyes MO. All his victims die with a smile. There are some similarities between Pistol Opera and Branded To Kill, but Branded appears to start with a plot until the hero of the film accidently kills a bystander. Then he is marked for assasination and the film takes on the humor that can be found in Pistol Opera. But, I believe Pistol Opera is something totally different.

Good Luck

Mark
Old 02-10-2004, 07:37 PM

I just watched this film and was baffled by it. It was the first Suzuki film I had seen that wasn't made in the 60's. I thought his 60's films had weird plots, but were followable. Plus, this film had less "action."

I like enigmatic films (I thought Mullholland Drive was fun), but don't know if their being enigmatic points to some deep meaning, or is just an entertainment device designed to promote mental activity in the viewer.