Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 01-01-2004, 06:39 PM

Default The Best Kurosawa Movie I\'ve Seen So Far...

is "The Bad Sleep Well." I picked this up last weekend and have watched it twice. The film is about what greedy people are willing to do to cover up a bribery between corporations and government. The reason why I like this film is that even though it was made in 1960, it applies to todays world of corporate greed. The first company that came to mind was Enron, since one of its former employees committed suicide. If you are a fan of any of Kurosawa's films you should not miss seeing this film.

Good Luck
Happy New Year

Mark
Old 01-02-2004, 07:00 AM

Default Re: The Best Kurosawa Movie I\'ve Seen So Far...

Another Kurosawa buff! Rock on!

I did a yearlong project on him last year for school - but I still haven't seen The Bad Sleep Well. I haven't sucked it up and bought the crappy Hong Kong DVD yet, but I might still. I'm hoping Criterion gets going on it.

My personal favorite has to be Yojimbo, though. That and High and Low.

Will
Old 01-02-2004, 08:37 PM

I had never seen a Kurosawa film when, several years ago, I read a rave review of "Ran" in the paper. I went to see it and was astounded: I literally had trouble getting out of my seat at the end of the movie. Incredibly breathtaking.

What a filmmaker. Thank for the suggestion.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:54 PM

I'd have to say Ran is probally my favorite Kurosawa, but I haven't seen The Bad Sleep Well. Are you guys familiar with http://www.Facets.org ? Great place to locate hard to find films.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:32 AM

Default \"Dreams\"

My favorite Kurosawa movie is "Dreams". It is a collection of some highly creative short stories. My favorite of these was the one in which a Japanese painter goes to the Van Gogh museum in Holland. Once there, he goes inside one of Van Gogh's famous paintings, talks with Van Gogh, then exits another Van Gogh painting. The entire story happens in Arle where Van Gogh spent his last days. The Japanese painter is seen walking inside a few of Van Gogh's famous paintings. Totally weird and creative.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:46 PM

WillMagic,

I picked up the Honk Kong copy made by MEI AH of "The Bad Sleep Well." It could a better translation and the print needs to be cleaned up, but at least it was cheap. I hope criterion decides to release it. It's a great film because the subject matter still applies today and it is one of the easier films to understand, even with bad subtitling. If you have not checked it out yet, get "Throne of Blood." It comes with two English subtitle versions from criterion. The other two you mention, Yojimbo and High and Low, are also at the top of my list. My other favorite is "The Hidden Fortress."

Good Luck

Mark

Old 01-04-2004, 12:08 AM

Default Re: \"Dreams\"

Jedi,

Since your first name is taken from a Star Wars character, I would have thought your favorite Kurosawa movie would be The Hidden Fortress. George Lucas said this movie influenced him when creating Star Wars. I would say that the two comic characters featured in The Hidden Fortress resembles the android and R2D2.

Good Luck

Mark
Old 01-04-2004, 12:15 AM

andyfox,

Ran is definately a movie that belongs in everyones collection. If you like the concept of combining Japanese warlord and Shakespearian subject matter try Kurosawa's Throne Of Blood. It's been recently released by Criterion. It's a fully restored black and white film with two different English subtitles to choose when viewing.

Good Luck

Mark
Old 01-04-2004, 03:38 AM

Default Re: \"Dreams\"

I would say that the two comic characters featured in The Hidden Fortress resembles the android and R2D2.

I hear this from a lot of people, but just can't see it. I can see the cross-dressing princess being a model for Carrie Fisher, however. The thing I really like about Hidden Fortress is the dance scene. It always knocks me for a loop. Seems straight out of the Golden Bough.

BTW, thanks for the recommendation. I had never even heard of it. Will be on the lookout for it, but know it's not in any of the video stores that I frequent.