Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-29-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Picking off a Steal

The other day in the stars 45 K this hand cam eup , I ultimatley win the Hand but my question is my preflop play

10 Handed
Levels 300/600 + 50 ante

Folds around to the Cutoff who makes it 2k to go (Chips stack after the bet is 5k)

I am in the BB with k/5 suited and put him on a Steal. (I have about 18 k)

the questions, If I put him on a Steal , do I just push here, or wait for a "friendly" flop and push there, or do I wait for him to kill him self [Go all in on the flop]

I wound up calling preflop and check/ calling him no the flop , he had Jack High and I won, so I made more chips however is giving him the free shot at the flop a mistake or is this play ok sometimes?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Picking off a Steal

if you think he is stealing and he commits 2k out of his 7k stack, he will likely call a push. stop n go works wonders on these shortys, especially when they miss the flop completely.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:05 PM

this play is not OK giving your hand.
unless your very familiar with the villians betting pattern and are able to tell if hi missed the flop.this requires a very very good post flop play.if you think you have that skill then its cheaper and more profitable trying to steal the pot after the flop.
but with your hand here if you wanna play it at all then i would push ,if he is on a steal then he will would ,if he calls then your only really affird of KK AA and even against them your flush could hit.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:09 PM

the only read i had ( had 50-60 hands with him) is that he tried/did steal everytime it folded to him, which was around 2-3 times prior to this attempt so my read wasn't good enough on his betting patterns since he was semi short stacked he wasnt getting involved much preflop when he was out of postion or was faced with a raise or someone possibly rasing behind him
Old 12-29-2005, 12:24 PM

in that case you better off just pushing.if he is shortstackd you can not pull any manuvors on him post flop to take the pot of him as he will call with almost anything