Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-28-2005, 05:47 AM

Default Making Sushi at Home

Has anyone ever done this? I know that kits exist, is this the best way to go or are there other good ways to do it that don't require buying a whole kit? Any tips or tricks?

Also, any recommendations on buying fish? I have a pretty large Asian community near me, so I would imagine I can get good fresh fish there, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. I also have Whole Foods and Wegman's near me if it would be possible to get sushi quality fish from an upscale grocery store.

I obviously don't know anything about this other than the fact that I love sushi. I'm having a girl over on thursday and we're going to try it, although we're both expecting disaster (the kind of disaster that will be easy to parlay into getting laid), but some hints would be good so we might end up with something edible.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Making Sushi at Home

I've done it. Came out great too, but took a little practice. Luckily the ugly rolls taste the same as the pretty ones.

Dude, doing this with a chick sounds like the ultimate smooth idea and I congratulate you. Think Annie Hall and Woody with the lobsters. Great bonding opportunity over foolishness. Plus there's good food!

You don't really need a kit. You just need the bamboo roller thingy. And get extra nori(seaweed), because it rips really easily, and when you're new to doing sushi, you'll rip it for sure.

A tip: keep a big bowl of water to wash your fingers in to keep the rice goop/stickiness to a minimum. I forget if you're supposed to add vinegar to the water, because it's been 20 years since I made sushi! But anyway it was great and I got tons of compliments from friends the first time out. People are kinda blown away by it, really, since so few people know how to do it. I can guarantee you'll have fun with it, but also pretty much guarantee that unless you're a natural, you'll have some ugly looking rolls, too. Gotta take it slow, keep your hands clean, and try to keep the rolls tight and not tear the nori.

Great idea to try, though.

Get a variety of ingredients to mess with. I love sashimi and all and I'm totally down with Japanese food, raw fish being great and everything, but still two of my favorite sushi's are diakkon(pickled yellow radish) and cucumber. Got a nice crunch and flavor. Do yourself a favor and stay way from the California roll, that stuff is garbage. You don't need every kind of sushi for your start. Two to four kinds is fine. For two people, I think a very fun and ideal menu would be simply the two veggie ones I mentioned, daikkon and cucumber, and two raw fish ones -- tuna and salmon. Nice variety there in the taste and experience.

Anyway, good luck. This sounds like a perfect avenue to a romp in the sack to me. But no matter what you wind up eating, you'll eat well.

Oh, and get some decent wasabe and plenty of soy. You probably know sushi shouldn't be eaten with just a hint of watery wasabe paste in the soy; you need some aromatic BANG in there. Heaven on earth. I know they sell it in paste form, but when I've had wasabe at home, I have used powder.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:12 AM

I do this twice a week. It is a great source of protein, and generally a good meal. Just go to you local fish monger and ask what is Sashimi Grade fish. Take a decent combo of whatever he has and get about 1/2 - 3/4 per person. Go home and make some rice in a rice cooker. Add a couple teaspoons (don't be stingy) of Rice Vinegar to the rice. Take some Sesame Seeds, heat them in a sautee pan, and add them to the rice. Rice + fish + seaweed = Heaven.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:20 AM

Blarg is right as usual. I did this once for a girlfriend--she still remembers it to this day. Quick tip: you need less rice per roll than you would think...
Old 12-28-2005, 10:37 AM

Do you roll the rice on the inside of the seaweed or the outside?

Should you eat them on the lovesac?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:52 PM

I just did this for the first time two nights ago. My brother got me a book and a roller for christmas and it worked out great. I started out making just a couple simple rolls (california and philly) and they were very tasty. Go for it, it's fun and saves money on good food. mmmm.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:19 PM

i recomend it girls love it, so i hear. some buddys and i made sushi at home a few mounths back it was awsome but not something i could eat all the time