Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 04:34 PM

Default AC Limit game suggestions?

First time posting, hoping for some general advice on the limit games to tackle in AC. Me & a couple buddies are heading up to the Trop for the weekend of the 18th and haven't really played any B&M limit in a while, so we're looking for advice on what to play/what we might be able to handle.

Background: I'm currently playing $5-10 full ring online without much trouble (and have been for a while on a few hours a week basis, generally playing 2 tables), and have taken a couple successful shots at $10-20 without feeling too uncomfortable, although I don't have any evidence whether I'd be a winning player long-term at that level or not.

In the past when we've gone up to AC, we just hit the $3-6/$5-10 tables, get wasted, and try to stay a little ahead of the game. But a couple weeks ago in vegas for a conference, my buddy hit up a $10-20 game at the mirage and over the course of the week he did pretty well and said he enjoyed it and didn't feel in over his head. So we're starting to think maybe we could play a little higher than the usual $5-10 and still be comfortable and hopefully make some cash on our weekend getaway (assuming we nix some of the wasted playing time of course).

Any advice? I've read a bunch of posts recently talking about playing higher limits live than online and being successful, but hoping someone that's done this recently can help me out and give a bit of advice. Any other tips on how much to sit down with in whichever games you suggest?

Thanks...

Rob
Old 12-09-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: AC Limit game suggestions?

I like to sit with 25BB rounded up to an even number of racks. I'm not sure what the status of the 10/20 and possibly higher games at the trop. The 7.50/15 pink game is action central though.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:38 PM

As mentioned the pink game at the Trop is very loose with a lot of raises. The 6/12 at Borgata is generally good.

If you want to play higher, your choices are Borgata and Taj. Both should have plenty of bigger games, particularly the Taj. There are debates as to which is softer. Borgata is a much more elegant environment, but there may be significant waits for tables in peak times.

If you can beat 5/10 online, you should have no trouble with 10/20. You can probably play 20/40, but I would try 10/20 or the smaller games I mentioned first.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So we're starting to think maybe we could play a little higher than the usual $5-10 and still be comfortable and hopefully make some cash on our weekend getaway (assuming we nix some of the wasted playing time of course).

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct that a given limit is much softer live, e.g. you would probably crush the Taj $5/10* game long-term. But you may not be prepared for the fact that B&M gives you many fewer hands than online, especially if you multitable. Therefore, variance over the course of a weekend could easily leave you -100 BB or +200 BB.

That said, I'm sure you'd have the best of it in a $10/20 and maybe $20/40 game; just be prepared for this kind of swing, because you're getting a much smaller sample in a given time period live.

Just in case it's helpful: http://poker.wikicities.com/wiki/Atlantic_City

*I don't play that high, but i'm sure it's softer than any online 5/10 except maybe Pacific.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:10 PM

Sorry to hijack, but I will be playing limit Monday,Tuesday, Wednesday noon-midnight.
Between Tropicana,Taj, Showboat, up to $7.50-$15 limit.
Last time I went in August, just wondering where action is now.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:06 AM

You've got to be comfortable losing 50BB at whatever limit you play. If you want 10-20 or higher, you'll need to go to the Taj or Borgata. I buy into a 10-20 game with $300.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:28 AM

As others have mentioned, the pink chip game at the trop is very good, also I just like playing at the Trop because the atmosphere of the room is nice. It feels more relaxed than the Taj or the Borg. I've also played 10/20 there and it's not much tougher than the pink chip game. You'll have to go somewhere else for higher limits though.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I buy into a 10-20 game with $300.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is way too little. 15 bets? A cap on every street is $240, and if you get HU raises are unlimited. I sit with around 25 bets in chips and another 25 bets in cash on the table.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:29 PM

I have been playing limit hold'em for 7 years (now at 20-40) and have never gone all in.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:29 PM

"I have been playing limit hold'em for 7 years (now at 20-40) and have never gone all in."

Either the tables you play at are to tight or you are being to passive.