Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Why would anyone raise 2x the blind?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
55 sit n go at Party. Level 1

2 limpers and the button doubles the blind. I know it's a dumb move but I am at a loss for what the fish is thinking when he does this?

What kind of hands are they doing this with? Help me get inside their heads?

[/ QUOTE ]

Monster: "I finally got aces! If I raise too much everyone will fold."

AK-ish hand: "This is a raising hand, but it's also a drawing hand, so I have to raise but I want to see a flop without paying too much first."

KJs-ish hand: "Everybody knows that you shouldn't let people in cheap when you have a good hand. I guess my hand isn't that good, though, so I just raise a little bit."

Crap hand: "You have to mix it up sometimes. Plus, if I flop two pair or trips I want some money in the pot."

This is partially for entertainment value, as I don't think the majority of players are quite this bad at $55, but that's my guess at a sampling of what people are thinking when they do make those moves with those hands.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

For the $11s and $22s I play, I'd estimate that 80% of the time the min raise indicates the "KJ-ish" type of hand, 10% are monsters, and 10% are crap/misc. The percentage of monsters does seem to increase as the blinds increase relative to the min raiser's stack size.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Why would anyone raise 2x the blind?

Some may feel they gain control of the flop? False belief that in position this may give them a free card when the flop comes out. Occassional it does catch overly aggressive players who like to steal after the min raise.