Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-30-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Re: more meh hands

I certainly understand checking behind the flop - but checking behind the river is just a bad idea - there are so many hands you collect from there. Once he check raises you almost certainly lose so I would fold there unless I had seen him do stupid stuff in the past.

-DrG
Old 11-30-2005, 11:13 AM

not one listed hand range yet
Old 11-30-2005, 01:18 PM

i definitely think a flop 3bet is just wakko.

also i think a flop check is a good line.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:46 PM

I gather your spidey sense tingled, and listening to it may be a good policy. But checking this river behind after the described action against a generic online mid-limit opponent is a mistake in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
not one listed hand range yet

[/ QUOTE ]
What's with the Little Mr. Cranky Pants routine?

Yes. The board is failing you miserably. You haven't said what limit or how many seats or anything about your ep opponent or your own image. You just expect a hand range. Well, ok, let's assume it's 8 handed and he's aggro, so before you bet the flop: 55+, A-8s+, KTs+, QJs, ATo+, KJo, and the occasional gangsta 56s and 83s and, of course, his traveling hand, 69s (which he calls "Big Lick", get it?). Good enough?

So. Betting the flop is reasonable, because you don't have a pair and want to clean up the trash if you are best, and you can certainly withstand a check-raise, it also may buy you a free turn card should you decide you are likely behind.

On the river, what worse hand calls. Well, not knowing anything about the opponent, I'd say I see calls from 88, AQ, AJ, AT, A9, QJ. You aren't good very often after you get check-raised though, more often than 1 in 20 I'd say, but less often that about 1 in 15. But, as estimates go, this is all even smellier tan usual, given the lack of information.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:17 PM

Hands, i don't agree with: AT A9.

Hands you listed that may not call, AQ AJ QJ.

Hands you listed that will 100% call 88.

Hands you didn't list that i lose to, QQ JJ TT 99.

Hands that need discounting, QQ, QJ. QQ probably caps 90% of the time. QJ probably limps or folds about 70% of the time.

Final hand range in my view:

88 AQ AJ 0.3QJ vs 0.1QQ JJ TT 99.

Combinations, so 27 vs 7. i got 2 bets vs 7, so 27 vs 14.

So if he folds AJ QJ AQ more than 50% of the time my play becomes just a tiny bit -EV. Closer than i thought.

So yes, i do have a value bet if i go betfold.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:52 PM

Another way you might look at it is: you are good 100% when you are called on the river. Do you think that bet gets c/r more than called? A full house+ may lead the river, as a set may lead the turn. I just can't throw my hands up after being checked to on the river after this action, and say, a worse hand doesn't call here enough and he too often has a better hand. I don't believe it -- only among people who play snug and know each other well -- and they're betting out on the river anyway... It seems to me that someone extracted the max from you postflop and you feel a bit exposed, rather than ready for the next hand.

Oh.I do pay off the c/r. Which I expect is a mistake. I do think it is covered by the earn of the bet though (which doesn't make it right...)