Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 10:31 PM

Default Turned Flush + Gut Shot

Both Villians are semi loose and moderately aggressive. This table has broken down into 6 players. What do you think of turn check?

PartyPoker 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB folds, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB
Old 11-20-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Turned Flush + Gut Shot

I would bet the turn. You have 12 outs to the nuts and possibly 3 more for top pair, and since villains haven't shown any aggression yet, the risk of check-raise seems small.

You would love to see small pocket pairs or bottom pair fold here, and your pot equity makes the turn bet very cheap if you get callers (you could have bet your draw for value with 3 callers).

Checking is of course OK, but with this strong draw I would try to take the pot down with a bet, since it won't cost much in terms of expectation.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:03 PM

I think its Ok..you are asking for a bluff on the river if everyones misses, but if you hit a heart or jack, you'll probably get some action.
folding river is good since CO has called.
brian
Old 11-20-2005, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet the turn. You have 12 outs to the nuts and possibly 3 more for top pair, and since villains haven't shown any aggression yet, the risk of check-raise seems small.

You would love to see small pocket pairs or bottom pair fold here, and your pot equity makes the turn bet very cheap if you get callers (you could have bet your draw for value with 3 callers).

Checking is of course OK, but with this strong draw I would try to take the pot down with a bet, espceially since it won't cost much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting here is indeed cheap, but this turn decision is actually pretty thin as betting becomes bad if one player folds and one calls and really has almost no value if you don't think you'll fold both players reasonably often (or they'll often call with worse hands). Since the pot is three-handed, I don't think betting has "free showdown" value as your A high isn't going to be good nearly as often in a three-handed pot.

So checking here is fine. Betting is probably also fine. It doesn't matter that much, in my opinion. I'd tend to bet if my opponents liked to fold the turn and check if they were either particularly passive (but not good at folding) or particularly aggressive (and hence likely to check-raise me).
Old 11-20-2005, 11:06 PM

I like the whole hand. I don't think you're folding 2 semi-loose players on a v. drawy board often enough to semibluff the turn. I also don't think you can overcall the river.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both Villians are semi loose and moderately aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

So a bet runs the risk of getting check-raised to go along with almost no fold equity. Good check.